Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mammograms five years after breast cancer

(13 Posts)
flissfloss65 Fri 06-May-16 17:53:56

I have just been discharged by my breast surgeon as it is over five years since my operation.

I have had annual mammograms and should now go on three yearly screening. But my surgeon has recommended I go privately for one and still have NHS one, so screened every 18 months. He recommends this due to having cancer aged 44 and large size of tumour. I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

Been getting on with life but this has got me worried which is silly. Anyone else recommended this or just 3 yearly?

Thanks.

flissfloss65 Fri 06-May-16 21:44:22

Anyone, please?

Tanfastic Sat 07-May-16 09:59:15

I'm sure someone whose had breast cancer will come along and advise shortly but I'm
Quite surprised that someone whose had BC is only given three yearly check ups (even after five years). Personally in your shoes i'd want them more regularly for peace of mind. I'm sure that is what your doctor is saying in a round about way.smile

mumto2andnomore Sat 07-May-16 12:39:42

I haven't got to this stage yet as its only 3 years since I was diagnosed but I was under the impression that I would always be on yearly mammograms from now on. Waiting for the results is horrid but it does give you peace of mind for a bit smile

flissfloss65 Sat 07-May-16 13:41:45

Thanks for replies. My surgeon said NHS rules meant I would only be offered them every 3 years. I do think this is too long an interval, just from an anxiety point, so glad now he mentioned paying for extra ones.

mrsrhodgilbert Sat 07-May-16 15:50:52

Hi fliss, I'm two years post diagnosis and was also told that I would go back to three yearly monitoring after five years. At the time there was too much to take in to question it. Maybe it depends what type you had? I will certainly be looking into private testing when the time comes.

ConkerTriumphant Sat 07-May-16 15:52:27

I had BC in 2007 and now have yearly checkups. I've been told I will have them at least until I'm in my 50s - another 5 years away.

Optimist1 Sat 07-May-16 16:12:46

Five years after my surgery, having had the annual checkups at my cancer hospital and having taken Tamoxifen for that time I felt very wobbly about being released back into the standard NHS procedures. Quite unlike me, but I mentioned this to the doc who saw me at my last checkup and she agreed to put me down for annual NHS checkups for a couple of years. This worked a treat - after a couple more mammograms I was confident enough to revert to 3-yearly screening.

mrsrhodgilbert Sat 07-May-16 17:19:14

We have BUPA cover, which I haven't used, but I wonder if they would allow annual mammograms after the five years? It would be nice to get some benefit from it. It's always nice to hear from people so many years on and doing well.

8misskitty8 Sun 08-May-16 22:59:38

Perhaps it's to do with the stage of the cancer or were you live. ?
My mum has just has treatment for second stage breast cancer. Was both ducal and lobular cancer in a 4cm Tumor. And it had spread to the sentinel node so she had to get all the nodes underarm stripped out (no more cancer was found)
She is to get a yearly mammogram for 10 years. We live in Scotland.

flissfloss65 Sun 08-May-16 23:19:32

From your replies and researching on the internet, I think I will just pay for annual mammograms and have the NHS one every 3 years. I had two large tumours and was stage 2. I opted to have nodes removed alongside mastectomy and luckily these were clear. I have taken tamoxifen and last year was switched to anastrozole. Just uneasy feeling that my surgeon recommended having extra testing but was unable to offer it on NHS. Without him mentioning extra testing I may well have waited three years for next mammogram.

mrsrhodgilbert Mon 09-May-16 11:58:28

Fliss, I can understand your unease and it would certainly get me worrying to have heard that. But actually, I think he's doing his best to look after you, given that the NHS takes a step back after five years. Doesn't necessarily mean he's overly worried, maybe he says this to everyone. Having clear nodes is a good sign.

I'm taking tamoxifen and have been told I'll probably be switched to a different drug next year if I'm menopausal by then. Can I ask, how have you found the Anastrazole , also have you been recommended 5 or 10 years of it?

flissfloss65 Mon 09-May-16 13:45:55

Fortunately neither tamoxifen or anastrozole have given me any side effects. Maybe a few hot flushes with tamoxifen at the start but fine with anastrozole. Had a bone density scan prior to starting anastrozole and take calcium/vit d tablets twice a day as prescribed. Dr recommends 10 years on tablets in total.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now