Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Labiaplasty NHS

(16 Posts)
RKWright Fri 06-May-16 11:10:33

I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope doing so here is OK!

(May be triggering for some- assault)

About six months ago I was vaginally raped at knife point by an unknown man at a house party. After the rape, the man used the knife to cut my labia (both sides). Because of the uncontrollable bleeding I went straight to A&E and my labia was stitched up. (Police have been involved and the investigation is ongoing).

As a result of this I only have a labia on the right side of my vagina, and the left side is rather badly scarred.

I never cared for the appearance of my vagina before this happened, but now not only does the thought of sexual activity terrify me due to someone seeing my labia, I have this constant, hideous reminder of what happened.

It's now getting to the point where I'm considering a labiaplasty. I don't have the money to pay for this privately and don't want to have to go to my GP regarding this just to be turned away.

I'd just like to get opinions on whether any thinks it worth me seeing my GP about this? Or how likely I am to eventually be referred to a surgeon on the NHS? I understand that plastic surgeries are hugely uncommon when performed on the NHS.

Thank you and huge apologies is this was triggering to anyone reading.

ladamanera Fri 06-May-16 11:16:23

You have been very brave. I am not a gp but wanted to add that in my opinion this is exactly the sort of reconstructive surgery I as a taxpayer would be happy to pay for. Maybe you can take a trusted confidante to the appointment for support? It also may mean the gp will see you are worried about asking, and hopefully treat you sensitively. godspeed to your recovery.

creamoftomato Fri 06-May-16 11:18:58

My god, this is an awful story. I hope you are recovering.

I think it is worth seeing your GP about this definitely. It may depend on your local CCG but certainly some CCG guidance is to consider labiaplasty where labia have been damaged during trauma. I looked into this a bit because my second baby resulted in a pretty dramatic tear through one labia that was basically impossible to stitch, though they gave it a go! Stitches fell out on day 2 anyway so its all a bit odd looking down there now, though I've got used it to weirdly and don't mind anymore. I don't think for a moment that it's something you should get used to though, so definitely try the GP. I very much hope they are sympathetic and useful.

Tiggeryoubastard Fri 06-May-16 11:20:05

I would say go and tell them how you feel.
Reading the title if the thread I was. hmm thinking how bloody ridiculous. But what you've said makes a perfectly reasoned argument for this to be done on the NHS. I do hope your doctor feels the same. flowers

Scone1nSixtySeconds Fri 06-May-16 11:33:21

flowers you are so brave. I am not a gp either but i would be glad for my taxpaying pounds to pay for help for you.

LaPharisienne Fri 06-May-16 11:38:19

Sounds like you have a very good argument. You should feel justified to ask for the surgery and to push for it (if necessary).

Sending best wishes your way for a good recovery from such an awful awful crime. x

DailyHateMailAreCunts Fri 06-May-16 11:45:39

Have you tried approaching a plastic surgeon directly?
Sometimes if you talk to them first, they help 'build' your case IYSWIM so that when you do go your GP you are armed with information and backing and less likely to get turned away.
flowers Good luck

RKWright Fri 06-May-16 13:26:22

Thank you everyone for being so so kind and giving me advice. I've booked an appointment with my GP surgery so fingers crossed my doctor is understanding

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 06-May-16 13:33:22

This isn't a vanity issue. This is required to physically and mentally help you get over a horrific attack.

Go to your GP, I would be very surprised if you were not referred for surgery. If you are not, please don't give up. See another GP. Good luck.

FarrowandBallAche Fri 06-May-16 20:50:56

Gosh I'm so sorry for what you've been through. I hope your GP is supportive flowers

QueenofWhatever Fri 06-May-16 21:39:46

Have a look at your NHS clinical commissioning group's website. If it's not routinely funded, there will be a public section with a clinical policy explaining the grounds on which they do fund it. Otherwise, your GP can apply for exceptional funding, explaining why your case is exceptional compared to others who might want this treatment but won't receive funding.

Happy to help if you want to PM me. I am very sorry to hear you have had such a traumatic experience.

JackandDiane Fri 06-May-16 21:42:03

omg you poor think OP
I do hope you get what you want

PacificDogwod Fri 06-May-16 21:42:56

Yes, this would absolutely be considered for revision surgery under the NHS.

I am glad to read you have made an appointment for your GP.
You sound like such a strong survivor and I hope you find a sympathetic ear and access to see a specialist plastic surgeon.

menstruawful Fri 06-May-16 22:56:48

Good grief, you poor poor lass - sending you lots of proper healing hugs.

I had one on the NHS at age 20 a few years ago, I've posted about it on here before but under a different user name. I (well, my mum) was warned it was on the cards from a very early age due to skin damage as a result of eczema and dermatitis , but I didn't get the surgery until I was 20, fully developed etc. I had to see 2 or 3 different gynaecologists first though and my GP had to be quite pushy.

Actual op was alright, painful afterwards but nothing that they couldn't have kept under control. Only one night in hospital.. I was OK within a fortnight and back to university within 4 weeks if I remember correctly. It'll be 5 years in September and I only have very minor scarring.

Mine was done through gynaecology but I was referred to burns and plastics , sexual health services and I think urogynae as well (the issue with me, being I had far in excess labia that were at maximum 5-6 inches long causing pain, bleeding, infections, urinary problems) . In the end GP said burns/plastics rejected it and said gynae were better placed to do it. The lovely surgeon that took me on in the end is now actually a professor, she was fantastic.

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said it was a life changing experience.

If you want any advice or someone who maybe has a little bit of an idea of how you feel, please feel free to pm me at any time xxx

BusStopBetty Fri 06-May-16 23:09:03

I hope your GP can help, but did the police mention the possibility of a CICA payment? It's government funded compensation for victims of violent crime.

You can make the claim via a solicitor, but they will take a fee from any money you receive.

Sunsetrise123 Mon 15-Aug-16 18:17:34

Hi, I am so very sorry to hear about your tragic experience. No one should have to suffer through something so tragic and severe as that, to be rejected on a procedure that could possibly help improve you physically and mentally.. This is what is tax payers are here for. I'm just wondering, was you able to get this procedure done? I have just been accepted, and I am looking to get mine done early September! I'm over the moon, I have went through a similar experience, not as severe as yours, though. Took me many years to pluck up the courage and talk to someone, after nearly paying over £3000 for the procedure, here I am waiting for my appointment through the post to get it done on the NHS! Don't listen to people who say it will be hard, you you're sincere enough and have that background to back it up, they don't even consider it, they will do it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now