Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this burn need treatment? Pic attached

(21 Posts)
Botherbotherbother Wed 04-May-16 20:26:16

Anyone know about burns please?

I got a small burn a few days ago - only about 1 inch across. Noticed last night it looked a bit pink and was warm around it. Seemed to have spread today so I drew a line around it about 7 hours ago. Seems to have spread again - but not much.

Wound is dry and scabbing. No weeping/smell etc. I have no temp.

Does it need treatment? I am really busy next couple of days, might it settle by itself?

hobybabo Wed 04-May-16 20:28:34

Is it bigger than a 50 pence piece? I think that's the rule, if it is it needs to be looked at. It doesn't look too good to me <<shudder>> but I'm not a medical expert!

Fettuccinecarbonara Wed 04-May-16 20:28:56

If it's spread that much in 7 hours then I'd go and get it looked at before blood poisoning set in...

Longdistance Wed 04-May-16 20:30:44

You may have an infection if it's warm and spreading.

Try emergency Drs appointment or walk in centre.

AuditAngel Wed 04-May-16 20:31:11

I would get it checked.

Botherbotherbother Wed 04-May-16 20:33:37

I can get a gp appt OK tomorrow. They always have on the day ones. Just don't want to if it's being overly cautious and I could hang on and see what it does.

msrisotto Wed 04-May-16 20:33:56

Yeah i'd worry about the spreading op

Trooperslane Wed 04-May-16 20:34:54

Deffo get checked. I had one similar, left it for a few days and took myself to pharmacist.

She packed me off to the nurse- apparently hell for getting infected and mine took weeks and weeks to get better.

Botherbotherbother Wed 04-May-16 20:37:19

Maybe a nurse appt if still the same tomorrow then. I'm less likely to hang around for hours.

Botherbotherbother Wed 04-May-16 21:15:20

Oh, and Trooperslane, did the nurse actually do anything? Did you need antibiotics?

Trooperslane Thu 05-May-16 07:18:17

I think I had 3 lots of antibiotics and it was dressed twice a week for bloody aaaages.

Iodine strips in dressing and it had loads of green pus grin.

Finally began to clear up when I had salty baths - I could feel the salt eating away at it.

Botherbotherbother Thu 05-May-16 07:40:07

Eww grim. I think you enjoyed giving that detail!
I had just decided I'd get around to it next week as it feels less hot today so might go away. Hmmm...

bakeoffcake Thu 05-May-16 07:46:12

Stop faffing and just go to the drssmile the red rash isn't a normal reaction for a burn, it needs looking at even if it's "less hot today".

It's best to get it checked rather than leaving it and it getting worse and harder to treat.

MrsKCastle Thu 05-May-16 07:52:26

Please do get it checked today. Hot, red and spreading are not signs you should ignore! You certainly won't be wasting the GP's time, even if it turns out not to need treatment.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 05-May-16 08:22:25

That does need medical attention from a GP.

Gruffalosgrandma Thu 05-May-16 13:22:34

Let a pharmacist have a look at it. They will advise you well.

bakeoffcake Fri 06-May-16 08:36:12

How are you Bother?

Botherbotherbother Fri 06-May-16 09:26:01

Hi. It got a bit worse yesterday but amazingly seems to have disappeared today. Faint colour this morning, gone now. Sorry it seems like I wasted time asking, I would have tried to go get it checked today. Thanks.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 06-May-16 10:21:27

You did the right think asking and then planning to get it checked, but it's good news that it's getting better on its own.

Pleasemrstweedie Fri 06-May-16 10:21:37

Or even the right thing

bakeoffcake Fri 06-May-16 19:04:17

Oh glad it's in the mend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now