Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DP delaying going to the GP because of impending house move/life insurance

(8 Posts)
FrazzleRock Wed 04-May-16 11:19:01

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise.

DP has been ill on and off for at least 6 months. He had quite severe labyrinthis which started last September and lasted a good 3 months at it's worst. He has been feeling better since that peak of illness, but he continues to get migranes (which he's had for several years), and just doesn't feel right. He keeps getting bouts of fluey symptoms - achey body, headaches, and fatigue. Right now he's feeling awful, though he is in work today. He slept deeply for about 12 hours last night and says he feels horrid. Pain behind his eyes which began in just his left eye a couple of days ago, and he says he feels 'woozy'. He said he is really scared sad

He is refusing to go and see a GP as we're moving this month into a house we have worked really hard for. He says he can't get checked out until we're moved in and have life insurance in place.

I keep telling him his health is way more important than the house, but after working so hard for this move he simply will not risk it.

Will it really affect him having life insurance if he gets checked out now? We have a moving date for 20th May so he wants to wait until then, sort out our life insurance, then get checked out.
I'm really worried about him sad

Pootles2010 Wed 04-May-16 11:24:07

They ask if you have anything you're waiting to see a dr about, so I can't see it makes any difference. So that argument is null. I get that he's scared, but he really had to go.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 04-May-16 11:26:03

Do you have current life insurance?

To be honest I don't think it matters now, you'd have needed it before the symptoms started for them to cover it. He can't lie about when they started because the doctor will need that information to treat him.

He could also be making it worse by not getting early treatment.

Lollylovesbones Wed 04-May-16 11:27:49

I don't know the legal ins and outs but I do know someone who did not receive a pay out from their husband's life insurance because he had not declared previous symptoms.

It seems pointless to risk his health when he could invalidate the life insurance anyway.

hesterton Wed 04-May-16 11:30:52

If its bad enough to affect his insurance, it's bad enough to be very high risk not to seek treatment. He has no choice really. He's not putting you guys first by not seeking treatment even if he thinks he is.

FrazzleRock Wed 04-May-16 12:11:42

Thanks for your responses. I told him what Pootles said and he said
he doesn't have anything as far as they are concerned. He said he doesn't even know how to describe it to the doctor. The whole labrinthitis experience made him think that unless you have very specific symptoms then there is no point.
He said he will see how he feels over the next few days.

If there is no improvement by Friday morning, I will take him to the GP myself.

I think the stress of moving isn't helping much, hopefully that is all it is. Plus we've just suffered two consecutive miscarriages, and work is stressing him out, so there is a lot going on

hesterton Wed 04-May-16 12:47:34

Sounds like a really tough time for you both. flowers

FrazzleRock Wed 04-May-16 16:02:29

It sure has hesterton.

He just said he's been googling and it leads him to the dreaded labyrinthitis again. I had a feeling it could be that again. I just hope it's more temporary this time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now