Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fishy Fanny after sex

(15 Posts)
Hansolosyoyo Tue 03-May-16 06:08:41

I've had this problem for ages. I get a fishy smell down there /points/ after having unprotected sex. We're ttc so need to go commando, so to speak. I didn't have sex for a month due to a laperoscopy during which time I also took metronidazole for a resulting infection for a week. I've also had short periods of taking this same antibiotic for my wisdom teeth over the past year. I still get the fishy smell but only after sex. I don't have any itching or burning or other kinds of pain. Swabs always come back clear & I've been swabbed down there /points/ about 6 times in the past year.
I'm convinced everyone can smell it & I'm getting rather paranoid. Can anyone think what could be causing this& how I can fix it? Please. I'm at my wits end & concerned this is the reason for my lack of ttc success sad

oliviaclottedcream Tue 03-May-16 08:27:39

I suffer from this problem. Apparently (in my case anyway) it's caused by lack of vitamin D. Even if you are getting enough vitamin D, your body is not able to process it properly. I wasn't getting enough vitamin D apparently, so I take a vitamin D supplement and 350g of Magnesium a day. This cured it for me. Hopefully, this will cure the problem for you too. Best of luck!

Foofoobum Tue 03-May-16 16:29:06

I had been told something similar oliviaclottedcream and have taken 5000ui vitamin D3 and 1250mg magnesium but it never did make a difference to me. Perhaps longer term antibiotics? Or thrush? (Does thrush smell?)

wobblywonderwoman Tue 03-May-16 16:32:27

I would love to know the answer to this too but I find a strong discharge smell regardless of dtd and try to keep as clean as I can. Need liners everyday.

CuntyMcCuntface Tue 03-May-16 16:34:59

Bacterial vaginosis? Look it up on the NHS website.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 03-May-16 16:37:14

I was going to say BV too...

whatevva Tue 03-May-16 16:39:40

Yep. BV. You can try things like multigyn actigel and balance active to rebalance your pH if you do not want to take ABs again and you are getting no results from swabs.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Tue 03-May-16 16:39:50

Are you sure it's you and not him?!

DarrenHardysDrongo Tue 03-May-16 16:40:43

BV. Antibiotics usually clear it up but it does tend to recur.

DarrenHardysDrongo Tue 03-May-16 16:42:26

And yy to the Multi-Gyn Actigel after it's cleared up, used daily it can help prevent it recurring.

Stardust160 Tue 03-May-16 16:42:58

Is it not just the smell of semen maybe if it's occurring after sexual intercourse as you don't have this odour any other time.

Northernpowerhouse Tue 03-May-16 17:22:50

I had this with one partner. It didn't happen when we used condoms.

Penfold007 Tue 03-May-16 17:33:59

Has your DP been tested? It is possible that he is re-infecting you.

cavedescreux Fri 06-May-16 22:58:00

But swabs test for BV and OP has had several swabs.

newtscamander Fri 06-May-16 23:04:56

Probably a bit obvious but I assume its not the semen that's smelling? It can , er, 'ooze' out for several days and therefore start to smell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now