Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Liver enzymes - any reassurance?

(8 Posts)
polkadotdelight Mon 02-May-16 21:51:55

I went to the doctors weeks ago for tiredness, am constantly exhausted and although we have a poor sleeping toddler and I work full time I just wanted to make sure there was no simple answer like anaemia. I'd had a very sore throat for three weeks before hand but I'm getting every bug going with DS and sleep deprivation!

I went for blood tests which came back with (mildly I think) elevated liver enzymes, these were repeated about 4 weeks later and I've now had a letter to say that LFT and GGT need to be repeated in 6 weeks time.

I'm nearing 40, am overweight, barely drink and take no prescription meds apart from the pill. I don't want to scare myself silly on the internet so can anyone reassure me please?

millymae Tue 03-May-16 00:41:12

I can. Several years ago now I went to the doctor with similar symptoms, and like you blood tests revealed raised liver enzymes. Each time my bloods were redone the results were worse than the ones before, and after the 4th lot showed no improvement my GP referred me for an urgent ultrasound of my liver which was done within a couple of days.

The ultrasound showed nothing untoward and the Radiologist who did the scan suggested that the cause was likely to be the after effects of an infection.

Before I went to the GP about the tiredness I had suffered with an infected in growing toe nail that I had stupidly ignored for months. It was so badly infected that it required several courses of antibiotics both before and after it was eventually removed, and then I had two bouts of labyrinthitis in quick succession which was what took me to the doctors with tiredness and exhaustion.

To cut a very long story short the Radiologist was proved right, but I did have several months of worry whilst I underwent a whole battery of other tests and scans which thankfully found nothing wrong.

My liver enzymes did improve eventually but some to not what is generally considered to be within normal limits. I was followed up for about 18 months and on the odd occasion that I've had blood tests since the out of normal range results are ignored as they are felt to be normal for me.

Try not to worry OP I'm still alive and kicking!

polkadotdelight Tue 03-May-16 04:52:55

Thank you so much!

yehyehright Tue 03-May-16 04:59:47

Me too polka. I have had quite extensive investigation (ultrasound and MRI) because of family cancer history but there appears to be nothing wrong with me aside from elevated ALT and GGT. But I have become teetotal (almost) and avoid painkillers unless desperate, just in case. I feel completely fine.

EagleRay Tue 03-May-16 05:10:13

Hi - I think I might have had this just over 2 years ago - went to gp as feeling rough and coming down with everything (and my toenails falling off!)

Test results showed elevated liver something (can't remember what), plus vit D deficiency which seemed to account for all my recent illness. Was sent for scan on liver and given high dose vit D supps. Both issues resolved now, but they seemed to go hand in hand. Am 44 and had given birth about a year previously when this happened

MrsSkeletor Tue 03-May-16 07:00:44

Could you have glandular fever (mononucleosis)? It can mess with your liver and causes a nasty sore throat and fatigue...

yehyehright Tue 03-May-16 07:07:21

They will check for various things like auto immune hepatitis, Hep C, mononucleosis, haemochromatosis (sp?), fatty liver, other auto immune things, can't remember the rest of it. But even one drink or taking a nurofen can also give elevated levels for a while.

polkadotdelight Tue 03-May-16 08:12:13

DS is 19 months old and I do take ibuprofen or paracetamol when I really have to because I get really bad headaches, I try not though and am too scared now! Thank you everyone for the reassurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now