Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Magnesium Sulphate Paste Expiry Date

(4 Posts)
CrawlDaddy Mon 02-May-16 10:10:40

Am I OK to use Magnesium Sulphate paste with an expiry date of March 2015? The pot is unopened. It's to use on my 6 year old's finger, which looks like it has a small splinter.

I also have an opened pot of the stuff dated October 2015 if that's better to use.

Thanks

KurriKurri Mon 02-May-16 17:31:25

My pot of it is really old and I still use it - seems to be fine - I think the only thing that might be affected is it's effectiveness. I find it separates a bit so you have t o give it a good stir.

Honestly I think everyone's Mag sulph must be out of date - how much of the stuff could any normal person get through within the sell by date grin - I'd go with the unopened one BTW to answer your question.

CrawlDaddy Mon 02-May-16 22:06:46

Thanks KurriKurri. I kind of thought the same but is good to hear someone else say it!

goddessofsmallthings Mon 02-May-16 22:51:26

A little mag. sulph goes a long way and I've got a pot that's been in service for way more than 5 years. I still can't see the bottom of it and it won't be replaced until it's completely empty. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now