Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Not happy with GP referral

(10 Posts)
TerriblePlanning Sat 30-Apr-16 19:47:24

I've got gynaecological problems and the GP has referred me to a (private - not that is relevant) hospital local to me. I went to see the consultant there and I felt that she was not very thorough when discussing my symptoms. I had it all written down so I was all prepared but she seemed to come to a conclusion pretty quickly and said I needed a laproscopy to investigate and maybe do limited surgery if they find anything at the same time.

I have done a little research since and the thing is, there is another large hospital close to me which has an excellent gynaecology department and a specific consultant who has a very good reputation. Can I go back to the GP and asked to referred to the specific consultant?

Stickytoffeepudding123 Sat 30-Apr-16 20:05:56

Was it a private or NHS referral?

Titsywoo Sat 30-Apr-16 20:12:36

Yes you can ask to see who you like. There are some gynaes who are not so great with certain conditions so you should go to one with a good reputation for the condition you are having investigated. Is it endometriosis?

TerriblePlanning Sun 01-May-16 13:10:48

Yes, titsywoo everything points to it being either endometriosis or maybe adhesions/scar tissue from a c-section but how likely is that as I only have had symptoms for a year and I had a c-section over 8 years ago?

sticky it was a NHS referral.

TerriblePlanning Sun 01-May-16 13:13:13

And do I go back to my GP or ask the private hospital to refer me on?

Stickytoffeepudding123 Sun 01-May-16 20:45:25

Id go back to GP and ask for referral for second opinion. You are definitely entitled to do this with NHS referral. Good luck

Titsywoo Sun 01-May-16 21:58:01

Still possible. Adhesions can take a while to form and then to cause issues. Definitely see an endo specialist. Normal gynaecologists won't cut it with this disease.

Mishaps Sun 01-May-16 22:00:15

Do ask for another referral - it is so important that you have confidence in the person who is treating you.

TerriblePlanning Sat 14-May-16 16:52:20

Thanks everybody.

So I went back to the GP and asked for a referral to the endo specialist (actually a team). That's the good news. The bad news is that there is a 5 month waiting list! Pain management is an issue for me. I can't take mefenamic acid for the pain as it's given me ulcers (despite taking 40mg of omeprazole) and hormone treatments are not suitable for me.

PollyPerky Sat 14-May-16 18:37:53

How are your finances? If you can afford the first consultation then be put onto the NHS waiting list (which could also mean hopping up the queue a bit) you might get an appt within 2 weeks. Private appts vary but you'd be looking at anywhere from £150- £180 for an appt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now