Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian cyst

(5 Posts)
Cluckingmad Fri 29-Apr-16 14:18:31

For the past couple of months I have been suffering with what I thought was a kidney infection or kidney stones, as the pain didn't go away with antibiotics the GP sent me for a pelvic ultrasound last Monday. Turns out my kidney's are fine but I have a 9cm cyst on my left ovary, it's a dermoid cyst which if you google it you will see is bloody gross! GP has referred me to see a gynecologist the appointment is in 2 weeks time. I think it's likely that it will be removed due to it's size, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this and if so how long before it was removed?

I definitely want it gone as it's horrid but I am in my final few months of my nursing degree and really don't want to have any time off as it could delay my qualifying date sad. Also I am getting awful indigestion/acid reflux and wondering if this could be related?

Sorry for miserable post but I'm a bit fed up.

PollyPerky Fri 29-Apr-16 15:46:10

How soon it will be removed will depend on waiting times in your area, so unlikely anyone can help here. You will have to ask your GP or wait until you see the consultant who will advise.

If it's removed it will be a lap op and you'd most likely have a few days off to rest.

Yes the indigestion could well be linked as it will be squashing things a bit.

Cluckingmad Sat 30-Apr-16 10:41:21

Thanks polly.
My GP has referred me to a private hospital as there is a 24 week wait in my area to see a gynaecologist. The radiographer said that I needed an urgent referral, although she said she thought it was a dermoid cyst which I have read is unlikely to be cancerous. I'm pretty sure that everything will work out ok, just damn awful timing. Hoping that as long as the gynaecologist says it's nothing sinister I can wait a few months before removal so that I can finish my degree.

Tarrarra Sat 30-Apr-16 20:33:02

I had my ovary removed a few years ago, because I had a 10cm dermoid cyst on it. From ultrasound scan to removal was about 8 weeks because it had already been twisting and was causing lots of pain. They do remove them, as there can be a risk of them rupturing.

I had it all done with keyhole surgery and was a day case. It took a couple of days to feel normal again, but the main problem I had was trapped wind as they have to inflate you with gas to make it easier to access the ovary! I was back to work in 2 weeks.

Most dermoid cysts are harmless, they just look gross! They do a biopsy afterwards to make sure though.

I found it really hard to eat when I had the cyst, and lost a lot of weight as I felt full really quickly and got terrible indigestion.

Hope you get rid of yours quickly!

Cluckingmad Mon 02-May-16 08:08:35

Thanks Tarrarra for your reply. Yes I do hope they get rid of this thing soon, although hoping that as long as no damage such as twisting is being done it can wait until August. Can't wait for the appointment now so I know what the plan is. I am also finding eating a bit more difficult due to the indigestion but to be honest losing a few pounds wouldn't do me any harm grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now