Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GP or nurse appointment?

(9 Posts)
CoconuttyOil Fri 29-Apr-16 09:41:14

Have NC for this.

I just tried to book a GP appointment and was told I could see nurse instead. I don't want to go into details of what the medical problem is exactly as don't want to out myself, but very clear symptoms that need early examination and may need onward/same day referral to a surgeon. This isn't a problem that could wait until Tuesday. I explained this to the receptionist as she asked what the problem was.

Should I have accepted the nurse appointment? I explained that based on the above symptoms & potential for surgical referral I felt it needed to be a doctor that did the examination.

Was it a reasonable request to ask specifically to see a GP? Do nurses in GP surgery usually make urgent referrals to surgeons? My understanding is they tend to manage extremely well chronic conditions such as diabetes, asthma, etc and also deal with minor ailments, emergency contraception, etc but less so an acute condition that may need fairly urgent surgery.

EllenRipley Fri 29-Apr-16 09:50:00

I would have thought the practice nurse would be in a position to immediately refer you to the GP if it was out of her remit and warranted immediate evaluation? You could always see the nurse and explain your concerns, I would hope you wouldn't get fobbed off purely because it's not something a nurse can deal with. Or can you ask for an emergency appt ? They do that at my practice, usually get them early morning or late afternoon tho you have to call first thing.
Hope you get seen and you're ok!

WhyBird2k Fri 29-Apr-16 09:53:31

Honest opinion is if you think your problem needs thorough examination and possible referral then you definitely need to see a GP at some point.

If you see the nurse she may refer you to the GP but it might waste her time and your time if you could have just seen the GP. Can you ask them for a GP phone appointment? If the GP thinks they need to see you they will then call you in.

Hope this helps

CoconuttyOil Fri 29-Apr-16 10:57:12

Thank you for your replies. My GP surgery is usually great so I was a bit taken aback by the response I got and don't now want them to think I was being awkward/demanding by insisting on seeing a GP.
I'm sure a GP will need to do the exam, so I didn't want to delay by having to see nurse first and then GP not be able to squeeze me in when they'll be busy with bank holiday rush.

They did reluctantly give me a GP appointment so I will ask GP when I go if that was appropriate or if I could have been seen by nurse in their opinion.

PennySillin Fri 29-Apr-16 17:39:58

I guess it depends on your surgery. If the nurse appt was a nurse practitioner she/he could have a made an urgent referral whereas a practice nurse/minor illness nurse would have had to get either a GP or NP involved. Glad you got it sorted though!

expatinscotland Fri 29-Apr-16 17:42:44

I'd have taken whatever appointment I could get fast enough if it's that urgent. All the times I have seen the practice nurse and really needed the doctor, he/she got hold of him quick.

lougle Fri 29-Apr-16 18:09:45

Yes the nurse would be able to access the GP. So you could have taken the nurse appointment, then she would have said 'I'll pop and get the Dr.' Just as the Dr sometimes has to say that a hospital would be best placed to treat a patient.

CoconuttyOil Sat 30-Apr-16 06:16:36

Seem to have had mixed views on this so thought I'd update. GP was lovely, I got antibiotics but she did explain surgery may be necessary if doesn't clear up in next few days. she said nurse would have needed to call in a GP to examine and as they were rushed off their feet yesterday it was better to have gone straight to GP from the get go.

EllenRipley Sat 30-Apr-16 18:32:46

Glad you got seen sooner rather than later! Your instincts were right but hope the antiBs do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now