Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chronic Athlete's Foot

(12 Posts)
Madlizzy Wed 27-Apr-16 22:28:22

I've had this for many, many years, not too severe but nothing has managed to shift it. However, it's rearing its ugly head again and is a bit worse than usual. Couple that with a new (younger) man, I'm worried about having stinky feet! Does anyone have anything that has worked for similar? Help!

CoconuttyOil Sat 30-Apr-16 06:09:58

Have you tried Lamisil Once? Expensive for tiny tube compared to other treatments but you apply once and keeps feet clear for up to 3 months I think. Having said that I usually reapply it a few days-week after just to make sure I've completely cleared it.

Eminado Sat 30-Apr-16 06:20:37

Are you treating your shoes?

Madlizzy Sat 30-Apr-16 21:19:09

Tried Lamisil several times, including tablets, and yes, my shoes get sprayed every day. Thanks for replying. Someone has suggested using vicks vapour rub painted on twice a day, going to try it, I'm desperate!

chocoshopoholic Sat 30-Apr-16 21:23:13

I use lush foot powder to keep my feet drier. It smells of tea tree and lime.

Turbinaria Sat 30-Apr-16 21:24:48

I got an cream from my GP and it soon went

annandale Sat 30-Apr-16 21:28:22

I used to find that Mycil cream kept it completely at bay, but it flared up if I forgot to use it. Since Mycil seems to have disappeared, Lamisil cream seems all right. Daktarin seems weaker, doesn't work.

Madlizzy Sun 01-May-16 21:25:33

I've recently tried Mycil powder, but it irritated between my toes. Might try the cream, actually. Thanks all.

millimat Sun 01-May-16 22:46:25

I was coming onto the health thread tho ask about athlete's foot out similar. I assume I've got a patch of it, it's been itchy skin that's very irritating. Used daktarin and it seems to have stopped the itchiness.
However, now further underneath the skin right in my foot is really painful to walk on. It feels more muscular / near the bone? Could I have made something worse using the cream?

LanaorAna1 Tue 03-May-16 11:00:46

Wash your feet with antiseptic soap and a nailbrush every day. Feet need more vigour than other parts of the body. Then dry and cream. It's a bore but less of a bore than reeking feet.

Trainer tamers in all shoes work too. Keep it up long after you think the smell has gone.

unlucky83 Tue 03-May-16 11:19:49

wash and dry your feet twice a day and make sure you dry them well. Dust them with treatment power. I put listerine original in the wash water - not sure if that works or not but must have read it somewhere and figured it can't do any harm.
Make sure you keep things you walk on in bare feet clean - shower/bathroom floor-even carpets - get a pair of slippers and wash them!
I agree lamsil is good - but what I did was look at the 'active ingredients' and eg used lamsil in the morning and Mycil in the evening -and I put the powder on after the creams (when they had dried) - Daktarin I think it was.
I can't remember the exact things -just know I was trying to use different active ingredients - I think it is actually one of several fungi that causes it so some treatments would work better on different ones - even if it was the same fungi they must have different methods of action so if what you have is resistant to one treatment it is less likely to be resistant to another...if that makes sense.
DD1 had psoriasis and had shampoo on prescription. But when we alternated it with normal dandruff shampoo (zinc) it seemed to work better...we did the same right at the start of the last flare and it cleared immediately - but that might all just be coincidence...

Madlizzy Sun 29-May-16 19:40:19

Chocoshopaholic - I just wanted to tell you that the Lush T for Toes is a bloody miracle worker. I've been using it for a few weeks and the difference in my feet is amazing. The infection is clearing up beautifully and the dead skin coming off. I can't recommend it highly enough, it really, really works. I'm also using their Go Faster feet moisturiser overnight. My feet are better than they've been for donkey's years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now