Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried...Smear or GUM Clinic?

(3 Posts)
Snowey101 Wed 27-Apr-16 20:00:40

I have the copper coil fitted, had it for about 4 years.

For the past 5 months I have had bleeding after sex on occasion and abdominal pain/ cramping at random intervals of the month. Some months this hasn't occurred, some months it has.

I went for my smear about 5 months ago and nurse said although ahe isn't qualified re the coil etc, she could see it and it looked to be where it should be.

This month, I came off on the 12th April. DP and I had sex last Sat (23rd April) and afterwards there was pinkish discharge. Since then, everyday I've had period type pain and now the last couple of days I've had spotting/ slight bleeding. Surely I can't be coming on again?!

I'm getting fed up of this now and really want to know whether it's my coil and something up there or whether it could be something more sinister and I need another smear.

I'm 28.

Do I go to the doctors or to the GUM clinic that fitted my coil?

Can a doctor or the GUM clinic look for both things?

Has anyone else with the copper coil had this?

BelaLug0si Wed 27-Apr-16 22:41:49

Hi
With post coital bleeding, either your GP or GU clinic should be able to help, see here for more information.
Cervical screening wouldn't be indicated as it's a screening test, not for diagnosis. There are other diagnostic tests which both GP and GU should be able to offer. Hope it clears up soon smile

Falling270 Wed 27-Apr-16 23:10:41

Didn't want to read and run. I've had post coital bleeding before although not on the coil. I went to the doctors about it and they said I had an inflamed cervix which was caused by thrush. I treated the thrush and things improved but I still got the bleeding and cramping occasionally. I went back and the doc said it was still an inflamed spot on the cervix and eventually it just went away on its own. Definitely worth going to your GP/ GUM clinic for a check up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now