Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Defibs in our community

(6 Posts)
IrrationalAnthem Wed 27-Apr-16 12:21:56

Hi everyone,
I'm a long term lurker from the days of pom bear and icod, I don't know if this is the right place to post but I'm after some good old fashioned 'nest of vipers' support.

At the end of last year my 18 year old nephew died, unexpectedly and inexplicably and we were broken. My sister and I have subsequently been diagnosed with Brugada Syndrome which we assume was also the cause of James' sudden cardiac arrest.

8 months after his death and we are ready to start to do something positive in his name and hope that from our darkest hours something good can grow. We have started a charity DiPPs (Defibrillators in public places) to lobby, support, persuade and fund schools, businesses, shopping malls, music venues etc to have a public access defib installed.

If any of you are Facebook users we would LOVE a 'like' to help us bring our fledgling charity to public attention.
www.facebook.com/dipps4james
we also have a twitter profile @dipps4James

Thank you so much.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 27-Apr-16 15:17:57

I've liked your page and I will search for you on Twitter later on.

I'm so sorry about your nephew, and your diagnosis. Good luck with your charity. We have a defibrillator at work and, while I am the world's worst first aider (I've been removed from our list) I'm so glad I've had training. Defibs are actually a lot easier to use than people think and I hope you can encourage more businesses to have them.

IrrationalAnthem Wed 27-Apr-16 15:34:29

Thank you so much!

Yes, you are quite right. Defibs do the thinking for you, anyone, even with no prior training could use one. You cannot shock someone inadvertently or do damage to a healthy beating heart with a defib. So glad that you have one at work.

lampygirl Thu 28-Apr-16 19:34:25

Public access defibs cost about £1800. We are looking at one but with the other companies on the estate. If we all club together the cost is a lot less per company.

TheAussieProject Thu 28-Apr-16 21:29:17

You must all be very aware of the maintenance involved in AED.

It is not enough to buy one and know how to use one but batteries and pads need to be changed roughly every year and the software tested. AED outside hospitals have sadly a very high failure rate not because of poor training of the public, but for lack of maintenance of the device which then doesn't work. This is something you must discuss and contract when buying one. The maintenance cost is quite high, around 400 - 500 per year for the most basic devices.

This might be one of the core reason why there are not so many around. You can't just buy one and put it on the wall. A person has to be responsible for it and needs to schedule maintenance. I know this because years ago I was a safety and security manager and I was the person in charge for this. Also, going for the cheapest one, manufactured with poor quality parts (cables, ..) is not always the best idea.

So, the key for you to succeed , OP, is to be ready to solve the buyer problems, because, soon or later, maintenance is the objection you will receive.
Another issue about AED is where are they located, do they need to be kept locked (shopping centre) or unlocked (office) and then who has the key , you also need to train the personal not only on how to use it but to remember to use it in case of need. Especially in big companies, where you might want to have one at least every two floors.

In my experience, you shouldn't avoid the training. The personal needs to be trained not so much because they need to be trained the use of the AED but otherwise they will not use it in fear of killing someone. Which of course cannot happen, because the AED takes the decision away from you, but they don't know that. And worse, very often an AED is available but people are shy and prude, so they won't open the person's shirt, or expose the chest by lifting the top, especially in women. It is not a gesture that comes naturally to us. If you boss or the CEO collapses at your feet, it takes some guts to rip the buttons of his shirt or worse HER shirt, lift the bra exposing the boobs, and apply the pads.

Training in CPR is also essential,because that's where it starts. You do CPR while someone goes and bring the AED, then you still MUST continue CPR while the pads are applied and the machine is turned on, only when the machines tells you to stand clear, you stop.

And the very very first thing you do, before starting all this is call emergency services.

People should also know that they are case in which the AED will not shock. Some good reason such as there is pulse but also sometimes because the victim doesn't have ventricular fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia. And the person applying the AED can become very distressed because he might think he is doing something wrong when in fact the victim is beyond the point in which shocking him wouldl save him.

I am very sorry for your nephew OP and I love your initiative.

Maybe to have more exposure, why not make a video in a public place (shopping centre after closing hours) of what you need to do in case of emergency. Call 999, check airways, expose chest, CPR and AED. And let it cascade through the emails and forums. And at the end of the video, talk about your story and why having AED around may save your life. People are more likely to forward such a message.

Jonah690 Tue 26-Jul-16 12:03:19

Hi all first time posting on here.
Just to correct you Aussieproject a good AED needs no annual testing, yes pads and batteries are consumables but a decent units battery will last around 4.5 years and the pads 2.5 years. These can be easily scheduled but yes you are right somebody does have to be a nominated person. Ongoing costs on a good unit should be very small. This is why you shouldn't always buy the cheapest unit available. Cheaper units care generally inferior and cost more in the long run.
There are many unscrupulous companies out there some even set up as charities believe it or not that will try to charge you for all sorts of ongoing services that are unnecessary.

Be wary of new units flooding the market from all corners of the globe only buy a unit with FDA approval this will ensure a level of quality.

Regards
David

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now