Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Not coping with life since hashimotos disgnosis

(3 Posts)
LimeLeaf Wed 27-Apr-16 12:05:15

Apologise for the self indulgent rant. Where to start? I was diagnosed with hashimotos hypothyroidism early last year. In hindsight I've had the symptoms for years, most notably that I had a low milk supply in 2011 with my youngest DC despite having breastfed my other two exclusively. But my health had really deteriorated by early 2014 and that's when I went to the gp.

I was never the most organised or tidy person before but I always had a good memory. Now I'm incredibly forgetful. I think I find this hardest to deal with. I was always quite erudite but now I feel stupid. Half the time I can't string a sentence together and often forget what I was talking about mid sentence. Plus the constant tiredness, headaches, catching every bug going round and taking weeks to recover. They recently dropped my dose of thyroxine and I feel very ill again. Then there's the huge weight gain which is affecting my self esteem and the failed attempts at losing it. The house is an absolute tip because I have no energy to tidy or clean.

I never want to go out or go anywhere. I've lost all my friends. Added to this I have job insecurity (community based so rely on funding). My middle DC is having massive emotional problems following my separation with her dad and she lashes out, threatens suicide, breaks things, hits and kicks us, bullies her younger sister. I can't cope with her. I'm in a new relationship (18 months) and he's great, very supportive but I'm finding myself questioning if I have the emotional energy for a relationship.

I feel so depressed but don't know if that's part of the illness. I don't know where to go or how to start changing things. I'm 32 and I feel like my life is slipping away from me and I can't enjoy it because so much is wrong. And I don't know when things will get better. I felt dreadful at the time of disgnosis but I had hope that things would improve. Over a year later, I've stopped hoping because it feels like this is the best it's ever going to be.

I know hypothyroidism isn't the worst illness to have but I feel like I'm never going to get better. How do you come to terms with that? Thank you for reading.

Pleasemrstweedie Wed 27-Apr-16 13:19:28

You can and will get better, but you will probably have to take control of your health and think outside the box a bit. The NHS is notoriously bad at treating thyroid disease and over-reliance on the TSH tends to leave patients under-treated and still symptomatic.

Lots of good advice and support on the ThyroidUK website and their forum on www.healthunlocked.com.

Good luck!

pollyblack Wed 27-Apr-16 13:28:51

Do some reading and research make a plan of how youre going to look after yourself. There are loads of things that can help and make you feel more in control. I remember feeling as you do (and similar symptoms) when i had my MS diagnosis. I found a support group, did a self management course- which was amazing- and changed my lifestyle and though I'm not better my energy, memory and mental health are greatly improved. Good luck, you can learn to live with this x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now