Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

GP/podiatrist/chiropodist /shoe shop

(5 Posts)
pippitysqueakity Tue 26-Apr-16 19:12:18

Iam having a lot of muscular/joint pain, mainly around my feet and ankles. I do have a bad knee (house maids knee) which I wonder might cause me to be putting different pressure on my feet.
I have seen GP about knee who gave me cream, told me try painkillers if really bad and wat and see.
Was wondering if better shoes might help. Whom would you suggest out of the above I visit first? grin

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 26-Apr-16 19:19:25

I'd push for a referral to podiatry I think.

It took me 18 months of going back and forth to GP with feet and hip pain. Eventually he very reluctantly referred me. Podiatrist watched me walk less than 5 metres before exclaiming "good lord no wonder you're in pain!". Turns out I have hypermobility in my feet and ankles, basically I can't support myself. A few weeks and a pair of special insoles later and I was well on the way to being pain free, first time in my life.

Podiatrist said that GPs are often reluctant to refer to podiatry in my area which is a bit bizarre.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 26-Apr-16 19:24:22

In my area you can self refer for nhs podiatry. Check your local hospital website, google, ask your GP receptionist to see if you can do the same.

pippitysqueakity Tue 26-Apr-16 19:25:59

That's interesting Cupcakes, thanks. There is a local, private podiatrist near me which I might pop into for a chat. Just wasn't sure best way to turn first. Thank you.

pippitysqueakity Tue 26-Apr-16 19:27:41

Ooh, more good advice, Gu, thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now