Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Migraines causes stomach pain?

(10 Posts)
ChemistryHunt Mon 25-Apr-16 21:07:54

I am wondering if anyone has had similar or not.

I am seeing the doctor at the moment to try and get my migraines under control. As a bit of background I have what the doctor calls "complex migraines with Hemiplegia", meaning that with migraine I get a whole host of horrid other symptoms from numbness, sight problems, confusion, extreme fatigue ,speech problems and weird sensations such as certain patches of my right leg feeling like they are having really hot water poured on them.

These problems are coming in patches, so I will be fine for a while and then have several weeks of constant problems before getting better again for a while.

During these patches the extra symptoms are constant but actual head pain comes and goes.

In the last few patches I am getting a horrid pain and I can't work out of it is migraine linked or not. It's like a cramp but not exactly, I can't describe it but it just feels different. It feels as though someone has put a thick hard belt right around my middle and is pulling it really tight.

I keep food diaries and it doesn't seem to be triggered by anything I am eating.

Does anyone else get anything like this and anyone got any suggestions of how to get rid (painkillers don't work)?

Not sure if I should ask them to look into this separately from the migraines.

lougle Mon 25-Apr-16 21:28:01

You can get abdominal migraine. When you say painkillers don't work, do you mean they don't help your migraines or the stomach pain? I get gastric stasis during migraines. Unless I catch them right at the beginning, any tablets I take just sit in my stomach and don't get absorbed at all.

You can get sumatriptan as a nasal spray or an injection. Also maxalt melts dissolve on the tongue.

spanky2 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:32:52

I use maxalt melts and amitryptaline to prevent them. I know that children get migraines in their tummies. I sometimes feel pressure on my migraine spot before a migraine. Sometimes auror, starts with blind spot, then wiggly bright lines that start small and spread out. Mad sugar craving. Stress and hormones...

ChemistryHunt Mon 25-Apr-16 21:33:15

Painkillers don't work on either. I have triptans to take in the moment. They work about half the time on my head but not stomach.

I am trying different "preventative" medications, but due to the periodic pattern it takes a while to find out if they work or not!

Thanks for letting me know that migraines can happen in the stomach, that revives me. I am have had so many medical things happen over the last year o am dreading having to go to them for something else!

ABetaDad1 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:40:20

DW gets migraine and usually gets stomach/bowel problem. If she takes Solpadene Plus that have caffeine, codeine and paracetomol as soon as her symptoms start she is fine. Otherwise she is laid out for hours and throws up until her bowels are cleared.

lougle Mon 25-Apr-16 21:51:27

I've had all sorts over the years. I have buccal prochlorperazine, which helps but takes forever to dissolve and it's so hard. An A&E consultant suggested 900mg aspirin in coke. That can take the edge off the headache. Triptan combined with sleep is the only real help though.

ChemistryHunt Mon 25-Apr-16 21:54:30

I have heard a lot about aspirin being helpful but o am not able to taken them unfortunately.

ABetaDad1 Mon 25-Apr-16 22:37:06

lougle - very interesting about coke and asprin.

DW struggled for ages but it was only when she discovered Solpadene Plus with caffeine that she got any relief.

Coke contains caffeine. I do wonder if a shorter fizzy drink with a lot of caffeine like Red Bull would be even better. One 250 ml can of Red Bull is roughly the same as drinking a cup of coffee. Coca Cola is a much lower dose of caffeine.

Caffeine stimulates the nervous system and also causes a surge of blood sugar.

Pinter Mon 25-Apr-16 22:41:48

As PPs have said, the digestive system often 'freezes' during migraine, meaning oral tablets won't work.
Suppositories work though, could you try that?

And yes to abdominal migraine. Confusing symptom!

FuzzyOwl Mon 25-Apr-16 22:45:31

I was diagnosed with idiopathic abdominal migraines as a child. I mainly get them in my head now but they definitely can and sometimes do affect the stomach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now