Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any GPs? Traveller's diarrhoea (tmi - sorry)

(7 Posts)
Fedupwithmyhairagain Sun 24-Apr-16 21:38:03

Not sure if I need to see GP and don't want to waste an appointment if not necessary.

Came back from Latin America 2 weeks ago. Was there for 2 weeks and had no problems but had loose bowels since returning home. Typically I'm 'constipated' as I have slow guy motility & often only empty my bowels 2-3 x week. Since I've been back I started out 5x day but only loose not liquid (but this is clearly far from normal for me). Stools have been liquid at times and now back to loose. Over past two weeks the frequency has slowed to 1-2 x day but still loose and quite smelly stools.

I've had sore throat & fever and also felt quite unwell last week. Writing it down like this I feel I've answered my own question!

ApricotSorbet99 Mon 25-Apr-16 06:17:52

I am not a GP, but do know that normal travellers diarrhoea does not go on for weeks.

Maybe you've picked up a parasite of some description. You really need to see the GP & get some tests.

pinkerpeony Mon 25-Apr-16 06:21:55

Definitely not a time wasting appointment.
They'll want a stool sample, but they'll give you a special pot to get it.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 25-Apr-16 08:31:50

You need to see the GP asap and also mention that you have been travelling in South America (specify which country/countries as well). It is more than likely that you have picked up some sort of stomach bug from your recent travels, the type (albeit bacterial or parasite based) needs to be properly determined so it can be treated.

Fedupwithmyhairagain Mon 25-Apr-16 09:03:02

Thank you for your replies. I'm working away this week so will book an appointment for Friday & take it from there.

Fedupwithmyhairagain Mon 25-Apr-16 10:38:29

Having googled giardia I suspect it may be what I have. Should I be prioritising a GP visit over work rather than waiting to see GP on Friday? I feel OK in myself at the moment.

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 25-Apr-16 13:23:43

Yes, get yourself to the doc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now