Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How bad is a visit to a dental hygienist.

(46 Posts)
eaglesreach Thu 21-Apr-16 18:11:31

ive heard it's really painful, I'm a bit of a coward, Can anyone reassure me and is it a lot more bearable to have the gums frozen?

PoshPenny Fri 22-Apr-16 15:29:52

Never painful when I go. She uses some ultra sonic thing to blast off the scale and a scraper for more stubborn bits. I thought that was all they did?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 22-Apr-16 15:31:35

It can be painful if they are doing a deep clean and some people prefer to be numbed first.

LisaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Apr-16 15:38:23

Honestly I have never experienced so much as a twinge of pain. What's painful though is being asked how much you floss or whether you use mouthwash!! When I had root canal I listened to my HypnoBirthing CD and it really helped to calm me down, so maybe you could buy a hypnosis CD and listen to it while she cleans your teeth? Hygienists are usually lovely people so you really don't have anything to fear.

Jbck Fri 22-Apr-16 15:39:16

I usually ask dentist to do deep clean/descale after Im numbed for any treatment as Im a bit sensitive but polish or quick scrape no problems.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 22-Apr-16 15:39:24

It depends how deep a scale is needed though. It definitely could be painful in that instance. They would tell you and offer chance to be number up then though.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 22-Apr-16 15:40:04

X posted.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 22-Apr-16 15:40:25

Numbed up not number

FreshHorizons Fri 22-Apr-16 15:42:52

I have never found it painful.

weirdsister Fri 22-Apr-16 15:44:18

I don't find it painful but I don't like the experience.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Fri 22-Apr-16 15:47:32

I don't think I've ever had a scale and polish. But I did have an air floss treatment and god it was awful! I stupidly thought it would feel nice blush
My mouth was full of blood after and my teeth looked exactly the same.

MissBattleaxe Fri 22-Apr-16 15:47:56

I had a descale and it was like torture. It was like having electric shocks in my brain and having icy cold water sprayed on bare naked nerves all at the same time. The dentist was totally unsympathetic. I explained this to the next dentist who did it after doing some other dental work on me and numbing my gums. I hardly felt a thing. Lovely.

MatthewWrightResearch Fri 22-Apr-16 15:49:15

I've never found it painful, it's the sooky thing that the assistant uses that I hate. I feel like I'm gagging on it.

FreshHorizons Fri 22-Apr-16 15:50:02

Although it isn't painful it isn't something that I like having done.

thatstoast Fri 22-Apr-16 16:01:31

I go to the hygienist every 3 months at the moment, trying to make up for years of neglect. I've never found it painful. I've also had a root canal and a wisdom tooth removed under a local, neither of which was particularly painful. Everyone will have a different experience.

Lookingagain Fri 22-Apr-16 16:05:20

I don't find it painful at all. If you are feeling pain you must let the hygienist know. I actually find it like a "massage" for the gums. I wouldn't expect the worst.

Obs2016 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:07:33

Not pleasant. But not painful.

WipsGlitter Fri 22-Apr-16 16:11:24

I went yesterday and it was horrendous. Like having my teeth cleaned by Edward Scissorhands.

readingrainbow Fri 22-Apr-16 16:16:58

I need to do this. How much do you pay for a treatment? /hijack

thatstoast Fri 22-Apr-16 16:24:33

I pay £13 with the nhs.

Noneedforasitter Fri 22-Apr-16 16:28:03

It depends on your gums, your diet, your own teeth cleaning routine and how long since you last went. If you have recession and the roots are showing, the water jet can be very cold and cause discomfort. If you have a lot of scale between the teeth, it can also take a long time.

But if you brush and floss regularly, your gums are healthy and your teeth aren't tightly packed it will be a breeze.

I have all the problems above and the first time I had it done it was how I imagine surgery before anaesthetic. But it is so much better for your teeth and gums that you should do it despite any discomfort (and it will save you from worse under the dentist's drill).

FuckyNell Fri 22-Apr-16 16:35:04

I have mine scraped manually (periodontal clean) and it doesn't hurt. No way on earth will I ever have an electric clean again. I think an imprint of my nails are still on the ceiling from last time grin

cedricsneer Fri 22-Apr-16 16:50:01

It's kind of hard to know beforehand if it will hurt as its dependent whether the root is exposed. If it is, I'm not going to lie, it is very painful.

I currently have regular root planing (under the gum like) and have lots of local anaesthetic for it.

FuckyNell Fri 22-Apr-16 16:52:00

Oh and it's £55 per session private

Flanderspigeonmurderer Fri 22-Apr-16 17:41:02

It can be a bit uncomfortable but I think it's worth it as my teeth look much better afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now