Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

**Drs advice needed!!** Epilepsy & contraception

(5 Posts)
FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Wed 20-Apr-16 22:40:39

Hello,

I'm epileptic and take 100mg Toperiamate BD. I'm currently have the contraceptive implant (my 3rd one, used the pill before that for 2 years) and I'm not sure it suits me anymore. My moods are really erratic, I've gone off sex totally, my cycle is all over the shop and I'm just generally not very happy at all this time and haven't been since insertion of this implant (June 2015)
So what I'm wondering is, can I have it taken out? What over forms or contraception is there that are safe with my epilepsy.
In a long term relationship (six years!) with a wonderful DP, not all that keen on barrier contraception.

Thanks in advance smile

SunnySomer Wed 20-Apr-16 22:44:32

You really need to talk to your real life doctor, not random internet people. I took microgynon for several years with no adverse reaction, but was on different anti- epileptic medication. But really only your own GP or neurologist can help. Good luck x

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Wed 20-Apr-16 22:51:55

I will obviously (I'll have to do that to have my implant taken out won't I? wink)
But as you should know at 22.50 GP surgeries aren't open and I'm not about to ring 111! So I thought I'd see if the fabulous MN Drs would advise me smile

LavenderRains Thu 21-Apr-16 18:17:30

I'm not a Dr but DD has epilepsy and takes lamotrogine. Her GP said the best thing for her was the copper coil.
she's had it for about 18 months and as far as I know she's had no problems

FeedMyFaceWithJaffaCakes Thu 21-Apr-16 18:29:36

Thank you so much smile
I tried to persuade them to take it out when I first had this 3rd one put in as I wasn't happy but GP told me I should keep it, but I've just become more and more unhappy.
So have booked a telephone appt to discuss my options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now