Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mirtazapine and aloe vera juice?

(8 Posts)
stressjug Wed 20-Apr-16 20:41:35

any herbalists out there?
i have chronic eczema and take 2x 15mg of mirtazapine daily and want to find out if its safe to take the aloe juice. I've tried the internet and the pharmacist and am not getting any links between the two.....I guess its just not a tested combination....does anyone know/have exp of taking both or should I just give my GP a call?

Zaurak Wed 20-Apr-16 20:56:44

Not a herbalist but a scientist. Aloe is good (well,OK) for skin but there is absolutely no way in hell I would drink it! It can have significant effects on your liver and thyroid and it's a bowel irritant.
There's far too much quackery around aloe products generally at the moment (bloody forever living...)?

stressjug Wed 20-Apr-16 21:05:50

hmm I certainly don't want to give my liver any harder a time than it has already wine am just sick of the topical steroids, Ive lost skin pigment and getting to my wits end with the bloody itching!

Zaurak Wed 20-Apr-16 21:28:33

Could you try a different antidepressant? There are anecdotal reports of mirtazipine exacerbating eczema
I'd ask for a medication review - your eczema is obviously not under control and you may need a better management plan. There's no suggestion it could be psoriasis at all?

stressjug Wed 20-Apr-16 21:53:50

I never knew there was a link but I really don't want to change meds. these are the only ones that keep me well.
My work exasperates the rashes (rubber gloves) but it keeps me mentally well too which is far more important to me than the eczema bothers me. I just had the juice recommended to me as I had tried the gel before and had a skin reaction (it reacts to literally anything, except Nivea, even rain water) but i think I will take the bottle back and plod on. Thank you smile

Zaurak Thu 21-Apr-16 13:23:17

Oh wearing gloves all day is a pain! I used to have quite nasty contact dermatitis from being in lab gloves all day.

If you wear rubber gloves, is there room under them for a layer? Could you try very thin silk gloves?

If you had a skin reaction to aloe, don't drink it!!

specialsubject Thu 21-Apr-16 15:43:05

the word 'quackery' is rather good.

with your health conditions, the only recommendations you should accept are from someone with years at medical school. Not someone selling herbal remedies at over-inflated prices having fallen for a sucker scheme.

stressjug Thu 21-Apr-16 20:22:07

i've taken the bottle back. I got the recommendation from a friend who's brother suffers and the aloe tablets really helped him but I'm resigned to put up with it.
If my skin gets really bad I put long sleeved oven gauntlets on but then I get flare ups if i sweat, and it's hot in the kitchen!! weirdly it is only when the rims of my gloves get wet that I seem to react confused
never mind, I've put up with it for 33 years, I'll put up with it for the next 33 xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now