Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long before I start to feel better?

(5 Posts)
PhilPhilConnors Wed 20-Apr-16 19:03:07

Apparently I have very low vit d levels (not sure of the actual number though) and am on 10,000 iu per day for three months.
I also have low iron stores (I think around 27, which is improved from January when it was 17)

I have been on vit d and iron for 2 weeks now and propranolol for anxiety for a week. In the morning particularly I feel ok, I'm still knackered and will be achy from doing not much, but my head feels clearer.
In the afternoon, I still tend to have a slump and feel awful, physical anxiety symptoms (breathing, fluttery weird chest, chest pains which can be controlled with breathing exercises), but without the doom feeling. (Sorry I recently had a thread about the anxiety side)

In the last week I've noticed my hands have got very dry, with dry skin spreading up my arms a bit. I do tend to be on the dry side, but this has noticeably spread.

I have been low carbing for a while, so no sugar, gluten or anything like that (which I have noticed exacerbates anxiety), but I don't feel like I've lost any weight.

All other bloods checked were fine.

I'm frustrated that I feel so limited. How long before I can expect to feel better?

PhilPhilConnors Wed 20-Apr-16 19:06:37

Sorry, more info.
I've recently been diagnosed with ASD, and have had several years of stressful stuff going on, so there may be an element of slump following crap times.

If I try to push through the knackered feeling, I end up more knackered and more anxious.

Is there anything else I can do to get back to normal?

Zaurak Wed 20-Apr-16 21:01:31

Pace yourself. Excercise that builds you up not exhausts you (gentle pottering rather than anything too hard.)
It'll take a couple of months to raise your levels. Check you are taking D3 (cholecalciferol) not D2 (ergo calciferol.)

The beta blockers will take a couple of weeks to get used to - they can make you feel worse before you feel better.

Be kind to yourself.

junebirthdaygirl Wed 20-Apr-16 21:49:44

I suffer from low iron and those chest flutters and chest pain. That's a direct result of low iron so there is something physical happening. Its not your imagination. The problem is when you get that weird feeling it triggers anxiety. I have had that. What helps me is saying to myself that's the low iron now. There is nothing wrong so l calm myself. Keep taking the iron. It will go. Drink plenty too. I would eat as much healthy iron rich food as l could too. Be careful not to cut back on good food. Plenty of it or you will still be weak. Isn't a time for dieting. Your health is more important. That fluttering is a horrible sensation but keep convincing yourself it's just low iron. It will pass but not if you are eating too little. Is your blood pressure low as mine gets like that and l feel weak?

PhilPhilConnors Wed 20-Apr-16 22:30:02

Thank you.
I'll check the vit d I'm on.
I'm not dieting as such, giving up sugar and carby stuff usually helps to control the anxiety and I eat more healthily, more veg etc.
Blood pressure was ok last time it was checked, but yes when it happens it's when I'm feeling exhausted and weak, sometimes I have a good day and it doesn't happen, when I'm tired it happens more
Thankyou, both very reassuring flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now