Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tummy bug advice (tmi inside)

(2 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Wed 20-Apr-16 07:14:00

At the grand old age of 29 I have caught my first stomach bug that is presenting in savage diarrhea, I thought after having a whole day of being tied to the toilet yesterday it would be better today but apparently not. sad
Whilst I have lost 5lb over night I feel bloody awful I am so thirsty but even sipping water is going straight through me.
My muscles are screaming in pain and I keep getting an extremely high temperature and the shivers.
Is there anything I can do to feel better?

MeadowHay Wed 20-Apr-16 21:04:27

As you have a fever as well I would make an appt to see your GP to be honest.

As you're on the second day of diarrhea, I would be taking something OTC to try and calm it down a bit, I favour Loperamide. A one off dose should be helpful.

For your fever: paracetamol and ibuprofen, both if needed. Nice warm bath or shower for your muscles if you feel up to it. Keep warm but don't cover yourself in blankets and things if you have a high temperature, you don't want to overheat. What is your temperature at the moment and has it been consistent?

I find peppermint tea helpful for diarrhea too, and it's very hydrating and you can drink as much of it as you like. Get lots of rest to help your body recover.

The most important thing is to keep hydrated as really the biggest risk from diarrhea is that it can dehydrate you. Small sips of water as often as you can manage. You could also take dioralyte sachets, you can buy them OTC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now