Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scared of the hygienist - any advice?

(11 Posts)
SadlyNotNormal Tue 19-Apr-16 12:21:04

I have a phobia of the dentist although I'm pleased to say I've overcome this to some degree in recent years, have regular check-ups, etc.

I hate the hygienist. I've been in the last few years but had it when I was under sedation and disliked it then even though I was as high as a kite. Most of it is that I hate the taste of the toothpaste / powder they use (I use bicarb of soda and Ultradex mouthwash at home). Because I last had the hygienist under sedation I can't really remember what they did, and I'd like to know. If any of you are regulars I'd love to know exactly what's involved (and whether the toothpaste bit is optional, it makes me gag!) I'm also not a fan of the fact that you usually end up with a mouth full of blood (at least, that's what I've heard from others). I'd love to go to the hygienist every 3-6 months, my cousin does and she has lovely white teeth! My canines are a bit yellow and I hate it so much sad

PollyPerky Tue 19-Apr-16 16:08:46

TBH you are not alone! I don't think anyone enjoys the hygienist!
Having said that they are necessary!
It's important to find one you get on with. I've had some who are monosyllabic and others who are lovely. The best will always tell you to raise your hand if you want them to stop so you can have a breather.

I go every 3-6 months . Mine starts of with a metal 'picky' thing which gets rid of the debris between the teeth. This does not usually hurt at all though sometimes she 'pulls' a bit at the plaque on the front lower jaw where there is a build of limescale. But it rarely hurts.

The next stage is the Water Jet. This is an instrument which has water coming out of it and she uses it to go round every side of your tooth to dislodge plaque. Your mouth does get full of water but you will have a suction tube in to drain it. Sometimes they ask you to hold onto the suction tube because they need a 3rd hand. I cannot pretend this bit is pleasant but the whole cleaning regime only lasts about 25 minutes.

You can ask them to stop for an extra rinse out any time if you feel you need to. Sometimes after this they go round again with the 'picky' tool to free up any hard plaque.

At the very end they use toothpaste to polish your teeth. This is not mandatory- so you could refuse it. It won't get rid of your yellow incisors- you'd need teeth whitening to do that!

PollyPerky Tue 19-Apr-16 16:13:00

p.s. There are plenty of youtube videos online showing what happens.

SadlyNotNormal Mon 25-Apr-16 16:14:09

Thank you! That's most helpful. I think I need someone very patient who I can talk to! It's easy enough to find dentists for nervous patients with a quick Google, but not hygienists...

blueberrypie0112 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:32:03

I go every 6 months. You will get uses to it.

The only thing I hate is being nervous that I have another cavity. There is nothing like the feeling of coming out of the dentist office and being told you don't have any cavity. I always want to jump for joy.

blueberrypie0112 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:33:43

Google "teeth cleaning"

blueberrypie0112 Mon 25-Apr-16 20:59:45

Btw, I would not use whitener. After dealing with sensitive teeth, i feel it is not worth it.

Except maybe if it uv whitening.

blueberrypie0112 Mon 25-Apr-16 21:04:48

Well blue light...found out that uv whitening is just as bad

PolterGoose Mon 25-Apr-16 21:08:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amarmai Wed 27-Apr-16 14:11:01

OP i also use sod bicarb to clean my teeth , plus a water pic, dental floss, toothpicks,an electric tooth brush and a regular one. The reason for all of this is because i hate dental hygenists as many are clumsy and hurt me. So i refused their 'attentions' a decade or two ago and am happy to say that when i go to the dentist i am informed that i am keeping the plaque under control.

Daisy62 Mon 02-May-16 02:19:18

I take 2 Ibuprofen before the appointment. Also now try to stay on top of plaque...interdental brushes and floss every single day, and disclosing fluid every couple of weeks, so that there's much less for the hygienist to do. In the past I've had an anesthetic injection for the hygienist too...means two appointments, half the mouth done at each. But I can manage without it now that I'm on top of plaque. I'm post-gum disease treatment and bitterly regret neglecting dentist/hygienist in the past, so hygienist is a necessity now even though I've always hated it in the past. Try a few, and find one you feel reasonably comfortable with. Don't have paste or polish if you don't want it. Good luck OP, try to go, it's easier if you're on top of the plaque.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now