Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Crippling headache (migraine) at start of period

(10 Posts)
porsmork Tue 19-Apr-16 07:44:48

For the first few days of my period, I get a massively crippling headache. Around my eyes and temples mainly. Yesterday, it made me sick. Paracetamol/ iboprofen don't touch the sides, and all I can do is lie in a dark room until it passes. Not very good when I have a toddler to look after.
Does anyone else get this, and, other than strong painkillers, can you recommend any supplements or treatments that have worked for you?
Dh was a bit unsympathetic yesterday when I had to have his parents rescue ds for the night, so I think it's time I get it sorted.

MigGril Tue 19-Apr-16 07:51:24

If it is migraine and you are getting it every month, then go to your doctor they can prescribe, triptain medication to take at the onset of the pain to abort the attack.

Sumatriptain is the first one they will probably give you but if you don't get on with it go back and ask for another one as there are about 7 different ones. They always give this one first as it's the cheapest but also the last effective epically for menstrual migraine. So don't give up if it doesn't work.

MigGril Tue 19-Apr-16 07:53:04

They are not painkillers by the way, they work on the brain to abort the migraine. Much more effective then painkillers for migraine.

TheFairyCaravan Tue 19-Apr-16 07:58:11

3 soluble aspirin in a glass of full fat coke has been shown in trials to be as effective as tritpans. I've used it on many occasions and it really does work.

I suffer horrendously with migraines. I was getting 15 a month, I take 3 preventatives, have 2 Triptans, have had numerous Botox treatments and a month or so ago started acupuncture. I can not tell you the difference it's made to my life. I had 8 migraine free days which I've not had in years. I'm having my 4th treatment this week, I'd highly recommend it.

dakin1 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:01:20

I used to suffer with terrible migraines every month and acupuncture really helped. I used to get at least two a month and now rarely get them. Can't recommend it highly enough. Also giving up dairy helped.

dakin1 Tue 19-Apr-16 08:04:21

Also if you can get to central London the college of naturopathic medicine have brilliant recently qualified acupuncturists who only charge about £25.

itsbetterthanabox Tue 19-Apr-16 08:11:58

I've had acupuncture and it did nothing.
It's something of a placebo.
Try the 3 aspirin. I found that useless but for many it works.
Triptans are the best. It's the only way I can function. Go to the doctors and tell them your symptoms and ask for a triptan.
There are also preventatives but if it's only one a month they may not want you on them.

MigGril Tue 19-Apr-16 10:13:29

If you can't take aspirin, you can also do the same with ibuprofen. But don't repeat the dose it should only be a one off.

I do take this if a triptain doesn't work out can be quite effective. Normal painkillers like paracetamol won't generally work for migraine though as it's an inflammation of the blood vessels. Which is why ibuprofen and aspirin are recommend. And they won't give preventatives of your only getting one a month. You have to be getting many more then that.

MigGril Tue 19-Apr-16 10:15:05

3 ibuprofen, that's 600mg. You can actually get the larger dose tablets from a pharmacist.

porsmork Tue 19-Apr-16 21:04:22

Thank you for all your feedback. I have a gp appointment next week, and will try those tips next month. Love your collective wisdom. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now