Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Policeman's Foot!!

(10 Posts)
MissHooliesclassmonitor Mon 18-Apr-16 19:26:40

Have had this for about 2 months now. I have been doing the exercises that the doctor has set me (mainly stretching the muscles by rolling my foot over a tin of beans!) but it isnt getting any better. In fact now a lump has formed under my instep and is so painful!
Has anyone had this and got rid of it? Or had to have an operation? If so how long did you have to put up with it before the doc realised it wasnt repairing?

Thanks for any help smile

JasperDamerel Mon 18-Apr-16 19:38:30

Is that the same as plantar fasciitis? I find Achilles tendon stretches on a stair, plus orthopaedic insoles are the most helpful.

whattodoforthebest2 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:47:53

I got this in October - plantar fasciitis. It was really painful and I was taking Ibuprofen constantly. Orthopaedic insoles (ebay) helped a lot and I ended up having two pairs of shoes to wear outside with them in and soft trainers indoors. I couldn't walk barefoot or in flats without any support. Mid height heels were often better than flats too.

I got it from running, so stopped. About 4 weeks ago, the pain had been gone for a few weeks so I decided to run again - bad idea. It came back, but only very mildly and didn't last long. I wouldn't consider an operation, but I'm hoping I'll get back into running somehow - otherwise I might try cycling for a while instead.

My GP said it could take up to a year to go completely.

bilbodog Mon 18-Apr-16 20:25:34

Ive had this for over 6 months and have found shoe inserts help. DSIS reported recently that she has worn a sock specifcally to help (amazon) so have just started wearing one. It is a compression sock approx. £27 - and feels very comfortable but cant say if its a cure as yet. Sister Wore it 24/7 for about 4 weeks and thinks it was cured after that. I had it a few years ago and it disapeared after a few mont hs.

JasperDamerel Mon 18-Apr-16 20:26:17

I had it badly when I was pregnant with DC2. It took 18 months to clear up and I was in a lot of pain and could hardly walk some days, and it came back when I started running again. But I've been doing more general strength training which has improved my foot strength and I ran 5k last week with no pain at all afterwards.

Bearcatt Mon 18-Apr-16 20:44:29

I had it about 15 years ago. It stayed for about a year & then just disappeared over night.
It was very painful when I got up in the morning or got up from sitting down on an evening, but generally once I was on the go it was as if my heel settled itself down
My GP once said that one of the other GP's could do a steroid injection into it but he wouldn't recommend it!!
I now try never to walk on my very hard tiled kitchen floor without anything on my feet.

MissHooliesclassmonitor Mon 18-Apr-16 20:58:43

Thank you all so much for those really helpful replies. It is good to hear that it went eventually for you all.
Just off to google those insoles you said about smile
I think I got it from running - so annoying as Im trying to lose weight and get fit but this has totally stopped it. Yet am told losing weight will help to reduce it - frustrating!!

Fedupwithmyhairagain Mon 18-Apr-16 21:35:23

I found putting my feet straight from bed into Crocs if I got up in night and first thing in morning. Really helped. Overnight they heal a bit but as soon as you go barefoot you undo the overnight repair so the Crocs help cushion the connective tissue as it heals.

disappoint15 Tue 19-Apr-16 00:15:06

You need to do calf stretches as well as rolling exercises eg standing toes on a step and hanging heels down, hands against a wall and back leg straight etc. If you search you can find a good routine of 5 or 6 exercises.

MissHooliesclassmonitor Tue 19-Apr-16 16:56:26

Thank you for those suggestions Fedupwithmyhairagain and Disappoint15 smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now