Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Walk-in centre or wait for GP

(9 Posts)
kirinm Mon 18-Apr-16 08:45:16

I need some advice. I think I've got an infection under my finger nail. The area around the nail is hot and swollen and there is a tint of yellow around the nail. I've been soaking it in warm water (following Google instructions) but it's not any better. It's my middle finger, is affecting my grip and I doubt I'll be able to type at work.

I hate the idea of being one of those people who wastes the NHS's time but I'm also quite worried whatever it is might spread (and I'll end up minus a finger nail or finger). To get an urgent appointment at my GP I'd need to take the day off work or wait several weeks for a normal appointment.

Is it serious enough to go to the walk-in centre? Pic attached

Drinksforeveryone Mon 18-Apr-16 08:49:54

It's a whitlow.

Do you nibble or pick the skin around your fingernails ? I do now and again, and have had whitlows before.

It's not urgent, and should fix itself. If it comes to a head though, it is most satisfying to ummm let it flow. (with a new blade or sterilised needle).

Try a tight plaster - that might help a little.

If no joy in a couple of days then walk in - or GP - as you don't want it to get worse.

Wolpertinger Mon 18-Apr-16 08:52:00

Go to the walk-in centre if that's quickest. Or poke the yellow bit with a sterile needle and let the pus out - you'll feel better instantly.

kirinm Mon 18-Apr-16 08:55:53

I tried to poke it with a needle yesterday but nothing came out. I thought the warm water would bring out a blister type thing to poke.

I don't pick around my nail but I know what you mean and I thought it was that to start with until it started to swell.

I'll leave it and see if it does develop a pus thing to pop!

kirinm Mon 18-Apr-16 08:57:48

Just googled whitlow and the pictures are shock

CMOTDibbler Mon 18-Apr-16 08:59:14

Get some magnesium sulphate paste from the chemist and some finger bandage and put that on. It draws the pus out beautifully

canyou Mon 18-Apr-16 09:01:31

Go to your local chemist. They should be able to sort it out for you or tell you to go to Dr.

kirinm Mon 18-Apr-16 09:09:41

Excellent. I didn't think to go to the chemist

canyou Mon 18-Apr-16 09:58:24

grin move to Irl pay €60 for a GP or €90 for walk in minior emergency clinic/a&e The chemist becomes the first port of call. And they are often better then a GP re understanding potions and lotions etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now