Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder removed but feel worse

(12 Posts)
cricketqueen Mon 18-Apr-16 08:44:44

I had my gallbladder removed on Thursday. Since then I've had nausea when I wake up and diarrhea for the first half of the day. I feel like crap and I just want to be able to live a normal life. I have a 1 year old and currently my mum is helping out but she goes back to work on Friday so I will have to cope by myself from then. I don't feel like I can function in the morning at the moment. Please tell me this gets better or do I have to see a doctor? Thanks.

Groovee Mon 18-Apr-16 08:46:24

It took me about 13 days to start to feel normal. Went to see the dr at day 10 and she reminded me that although it was keyhole surgery, it was still major and needed time to recover. It's still early days for you X

VegasIsBest Mon 18-Apr-16 08:47:43

I think you need to give your body time to heal from a major operation and the impact of the general anaesthetic. I felt crap for two weeks after the op but then fine ever since.

Runwayqueen Mon 18-Apr-16 09:07:26

Don't underestimate what has happened to your body, my surgeon reminded me that I'd lost an organ and my body would take time to adjust to that.

I suffered a horrible infection in the top wound and had to be readmitted to hospital for a week, just under a week after surgery. As I was a lone parent at the time dd has to live with my parents till I could look after her. Daily trips to hospital for 3months after the surgery consumed my life. Be careful, if you think there is a chance you may have an infection please get it checked.

Runwayqueen Mon 18-Apr-16 09:08:46

And be careful with what you eat too, every drink and meal came back out of me rapidly for the first 3 weeks. I'm probably an extreme case though

wineoclockthanks Wed 20-Apr-16 09:01:23

How are you feeling now Cricket? Better I hope.

I had mine out on Monday and seem to be having the opposite problem!

Hope you're feeling better.

minsmum Wed 20-Apr-16 09:07:57

I had mine taken out on Saturday and feel okay but am constipated. I am hoping it gets better.

Dachshund Wed 20-Apr-16 09:12:37

I'm waiting for my consultation to discuss surgery after having close to 10 attacks since March. I feel like it's so unfair, I'm not fair, fat OR 40!!

I've since been told pregnancy can bring on gallstones/symptoms and I'm so angry that this is never ever talked about in any ante-natal literature!

Please tell me that getting the surgery is the right thing to do, I'm phobic of hospitals and all medical procedures and scared to death of going under GA but I can't live my whole life eating zero fat and in fear sad I'm only 28 and my DD isn't even 5 months

OP sorry for the thread hijack - I think it's fairly common to have digestive issues for a few weeks post-op but after that most people live a completely normal life! That's what I'm believing anyway flowers

cricketqueen Wed 20-Apr-16 09:14:56

I'm feeling better, still have a problem with the diarrhea but it's not nearly as bad as it was. I spoke to the doctor and they told me that it is quite normal to have digestive issues for a couple of weeks after the op.

minsmum Wed 20-Apr-16 09:20:39

Dachshund even the pain straight after the operation is not as bad as an attack.

wineoclockthanks Wed 20-Apr-16 09:46:00

Glad you're feeling better Cricket.

Daschund, less than 48 hours later, I'm sore but not real pain (not even bothering with paracetamol).

Hope we can both get things moving soon mins mum!

tb Thu 21-Apr-16 19:01:41

If you feel loads better after the op, don't start leaping about like a 3-year old. I did, and developed 2 hernias on the mid line where the incisions were.

10 days later, after eye-watering constipation had set in due to 4 tramadol a day and no movicol or anything similar, I was driven to consult my local GP. When he'd recovered from pissing himself laughing at the fact that I'd tried industrial strength curry - with no effect, I left the surgery with a prescription for 4 boxes of 24 tubes of movicol type stuff (I live in France).

He was very impressed by the evidence of British stoicism grin as was his son last week when it took me 12 days of thinking shingles was sinusitis!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now