Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

52 small changes - week 17

(25 Posts)
OddSocksHighHeels Sat 16-Apr-16 21:14:25

Set up a regular eating schedule.

Everybody is different so do what works for you but it tends to be best to eat smaller meals and have some snacks so a total of 5-6 times per day.

Eat breakfast within an hour and a half of gettin up and reduce meal sizes to fit in snacks so that you're eating regularly.

Try packing healthy snacks to take along and batch cooking for quick meals.

An example of a schedule is:

Breakfast - 6:30-8:00
Snack - 9:30-10:30
Lunch- 12:30-13:30
Snack - 15:00-16:00
Dinner - 18:00-19:30

last week

Sirona Sat 16-Apr-16 22:08:55

Thanks again Odd

I'm quite good at schedule for lunch and dinner, I have a 3yo so I have to be. Between breakfast and lunch is the dubious time for me. I can never quite manage a breakfast unless I force it so usually my schedule would be;

7-9am - lots of coffee
9.30 - breakfast
1pm - lunch
3pm or so - bit of fruit for snack
5pm (on the dot) - dinner
Any time after that - eat loads of crap until bed time

Ok I need to look at this one. I've had hiatus hernia since my early 20s and get bad reflux. I've been told loads of times by doctors I should have regular small meals and not eat after 7pm but I've never listened. Had to see an ENT consultant a few weeks because of sore throats and he puts it down to my heartburn and gave the same recommendations. I do need to get on top of this.

8FencingWire Sat 16-Apr-16 22:35:25

Thank you odd smile

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sat 16-Apr-16 23:22:21

OK, here's my joke.

Man walks into the psychiatrist's office wearing nothing but cling film underpants.

The psychiatrist says 'I can clearly see your nuts'

Sorry, that's my best.

This is another change that I like.

I'm not sure if it was Ghandi or the Dalai Lama or Buddha who said only ever eat four mouthfuls of food at a time.

But do that eight times a day.

OddSocksHighHeels Sun 17-Apr-16 00:04:55

bewitched grin I like that one!

NightWanderer Sun 17-Apr-16 09:15:39

A man walks into a bar with a salmon under his arm. He asks the bartender 'Have you got any fishcakes?' The bartender says 'Sorry, mate. We don't'. The man says 'Aw, that's a shame. It's his birthday'. grin

I like this week's. We definitely need more routine in this house!

quirkychick Sun 17-Apr-16 13:30:43

grin love the jokes. We all need more laughter in our lives!

I don't really do the routine eating as I'm more of an intermittent faster. I am trying to get my "eating window" to between lunchtime and 6pm, so I might try focusing on that. I have temporarily given up with the 5:2 as 1) I have had 2 periods close together and I cannot fast at the same time 2) my parents are visiting in 2 weeks and it's not going to happen. I will restart after their visit.

PurpleRibbons Sun 17-Apr-16 21:42:13

Thanks oddsocks. This has come at the right time for me as I have gained a little weight. I've also realised I don't eat enough in the day so end up snacking in the evening. I need to buy or prepare in advance some sensible snacks to take to work.

Sirona Tue 19-Apr-16 21:10:44

How's everyone doing this week?

I'm not sticking to it great. Eating is all over the place as I've been taking painkillers for my back, they always knock my appetite off. Positive being I've shifted that extra couple of pounds I wasn't entirely happy with having smile

quirkychick Wed 20-Apr-16 07:29:55

Sirona I think it's healthy to listen to your appetite rather than just eating because it's lunchtime etc. We'll done for shifting those extra pounds!

I have been doing well with eating between lunchtime and early dinner. I have been tracking my food with mfp and having a good size lunch and dinner means I'm not snacking so much, or late in the evenings, and finding it easier to be properly low carb, despite a massive period. It might all go to pot next week as my parents are coming to stay and my dad cooks. It means staying low carb, often means I can get a bit hungry. I might be snacking on lots of nuts!

NightWanderer Wed 20-Apr-16 09:56:14

Instead of snacking mid-morning, I usually have a big bowl of all bran cereal with raisins and a banana in the evening. My kids are young so we eat early but I get peckish in the evening so the cereal tends to head off evening snacking.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 20-Apr-16 10:08:23

I don't really like eating till midday and then in the evening.

Don't really wants to eat more than I do so I'm not even trying with this one.

Will revisit some of the others.

quirkychick Wed 20-Apr-16 14:42:07

Bewitched that's how I like eating tbh. I had started doing some random snacking, so this has focused me on eating how it suits me. It definitely makes the low carbing easier as I'm full from meals.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 20-Apr-16 19:22:18

No point forcing it is there, if we've found a regime that suits us.

I don't need to lose weight although I wouldn't mind changing shape a bit!

quirkychick Wed 20-Apr-16 21:56:20

You absolutely do need to listen to your body and find a way that suits you. Different ways of eating suit different people. I'm using this week to make sure I eat well for me even if I'm not following this week exactly, more the spirit of the thing.

PurpleRibbons Wed 20-Apr-16 22:02:01

I've managed a sensible 3pm snack every day this week so far and I have laid off the evening treats. I think it's helping.

NightWanderer Wed 20-Apr-16 22:32:49

What sort of thing do you have Purple?

My kids have an after-school snack but they always want something like kit kats or biscuits, crisps. I would love something more healthy but don't have a lot of ideas. DS1 loves fruit DS2 won't touch it though, he's so picky!

OddSocksHighHeels Thu 21-Apr-16 15:57:09

This chapter does say that different things suit different people so it's just finding the one that suits you best. I eat three meals and three snacks most days and was already pretty much on a schedule because my hunger signals are still off - I could not eat all day and not feel hungry sometimes so I need to stop myself from doing that.

Night some snack ideas for the fussy one:

Crackers with cheese/houmous/paté/peanut butter
Some nuts/seeds/dried fruit
Yoghurt
Porridge or cereal
Dips with breadsticks or veg
Boiled egg
Toast
Slices of meat
Random bits of leftover meals

PurpleRibbons Thu 21-Apr-16 17:51:48

I've had hummus with carrot/cucumber sticks and also those flat bread crackers with the seeds on.
Also grapes or sliced apple with a small lump of cheese. Both of these are favourites of DD's too.

margaritasbythesea Sat 23-Apr-16 15:15:28

Hello thread grin

I eat as regularly as clockwork:
7.30 a.m.
12 p.m.
3.30 p.m.
6 p.m.

If I have to eat proper dinner like an adult, for example when people come to stay or I have to go out for dinner, I hate it as I know I won't sleep properly.

quirkychick Sat 23-Apr-16 16:59:42

margaritas I hate eating late too! I think we have got so used to eating early with the dcs that I find it really difficult.

PurpleRibbons Sun 24-Apr-16 19:03:11

Feeling really pleased with the last two changes. With the wholegrains and the afternoon snack I am definitely feeling more full and eating less rubbish in the evenings. Have bought some posh olives for tomorrow's healthy snack!

NightWanderer Tue 26-Apr-16 01:54:18

This one helped me a lot. I tend to over-snack, so having regular meal times is good.

Does anyone know what Week 18 is? Don't say I have to buy the book myself!! wink

Hope everyone is doing ok. I don't chat much but I love these threads.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 27-Apr-16 00:45:20

Socks hasn't been around much since the meet-up, it wasn't that bad, honest!

DrDiva was our 2nd in command but hasn't been around much for last week.

I don't know where this is all coming from, didn't know there was a book.

Anyone up for starting week 18?

NightWanderer Wed 27-Apr-16 05:55:21

Ok, I started Week 18, hope I did it ok. Hopefully the others will be back soon.

Week 18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now