Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Appendix removal

(18 Posts)
megadude Sat 16-Apr-16 13:06:50

I'm having keyhole investigation and appendix removal next Friday. Basically, I have symptoms of a grumbling appendix, and all tests up to now have come back clear. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Cass168 Sat 16-Apr-16 13:15:31

I had something similar a couple of years ago. Are you actually a dude? Only asking as they thought mine might something with my ovaries rather than appendix to start with. Had the op, recovery time was pretty quick, worst bit was sickness after having a general!

megadude Sat 16-Apr-16 13:46:48

Thanks Cass. No I'm not a dude, name is a bit daft as it's an in joke that doesn't work with people you don't know!

Ovaries haven't been mentioned at all. Been feeling stupid when tests come back clear. Your post is very reassuring thanks.

Timeforabiscuit Sat 16-Apr-16 13:53:45

There are loads of things it could be going on it that area, so don't worry they are eliminating possibilities.

Mine started as suspected appendicitis, then it was a urinary tract infection, two loads of antibiotics didn't stop the pain and I was still taking cocodamol to ease it, ended up being a herpes virus flare up that tracked up to my bladder nerves and I was suffering from referred pain.

Really feel for you as the not knowing was the worst bit, even if the key hole comes back clear it's another thing to tick off.

megadude Sat 16-Apr-16 14:06:50

Thanks Timeforabiscuit. My consultant seems pretty keen to get it out. He said the appendix can flare up, then return to normal, but he should be able to see scarring etc on it.

What you went through sounds terrible, I hope you're better now.

Last year it was very scary as a scan showed lumps in my caecum (bit of the bowel), but it was a false alarm.

Cass168 Sat 16-Apr-16 14:12:27

They didn't actually confirm appendicitis until after my op - first thing i groggily said back on the ward was "Urgh... Was it my appendix?" And the nurse said yes "it was quite inflamed". Good luck - hope it all goes well for you dude!

megadude Sat 16-Apr-16 16:03:08

Cheers Cass!

Bolshybookworm Sat 16-Apr-16 16:19:30

I had what I think was a grumbling appendix for a couple of years before I had mine removed. Had a few bouts of intense abdominal pain and nausea. Would always start as intense stabbing/burning pain for a few hours followed by several days of feeling very tender, especially when I ate anything. The GPs I saw were very dismissive, said it was trapped wind. Anyway, the last time it happened was horrendous, the worst pain I've ever experienced. Couldn't stop vomitting. The GP wouldn't come out to see me. My dad (a doctor) diagnosed appendicitis and told me to get to A&E. Was convinced that they would say it was trapped wind especially as, as had happened previously, the pain receded. They confirmed appendicitis and I had my appendix removed- I have never been happier to go under! The pain never came back so I'm pretty certain I had had a grumbling appendix.

Anyhoo, I was in hospital for 2-3 days, pretty sore for about a week and ok but still unable to do anything strenuous for about 3 weeks. Take some stretchy trousers in because they fill you up with air so that there's room for manoeuvre in there. It made me do some ENORMOUS burps (was so jacked up on morphine I didn't care).
The scars you get with keyhole are tiny and one is covered by your pubes anyway grin

Lindy2 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:37:44

I had my appendix removed a few years ago. Most of the tests they did didn't show appendicitis. The doctors did an ultrasound in the end and apparently that showed some "gloop". (I'm not sure if that is often used as a medical term! ).
When it was taken out it was at the point of bursting so should really have been easier to diagnose. I had gone from feeling fine to bursting appendix in just 24 hours.
I think appendicitis is a strange condition as it doesn't always follow the rules for the doctors. Keyhole surgery should be a lot easier to recover from than it having gone too far and needing full surgery like I had to have.
I hope you feel better soon.

Cass168 Sat 16-Apr-16 16:51:04

Ditto the stretchy trousers! Also - they went in for the keyhole surgery just under / in my belly button, so jeans were out for a couple of weeks afterwards. I went back to my lovely, comfy maternity jeans (dreamy sigh...)

megadude Sat 16-Apr-16 19:21:57

They are going to insert something via the belly button which did make me wince. Leggings and jersey dresses all the way then!

Natsku Sat 16-Apr-16 19:35:17

The belly button hole makes me wince too, I am very protective of my belly button!

It can be quite hard to diagnose appendicitis, I imagine its even harder for grumbling appendix. They weren't able to diagnose my appendicitis until they did an MRI, all the other scans missed it even though it was close to bursting.

Had to have open surgery for mine because I was pregnant but I had keyhole surgery a couple of years later and the recovery was definitely easier than from open surgery but you do get horrid pain referred up to your shoulder from all the gas they blow up your belly with! Best to get up and move as soon as you can, they wouldn't let me out of the bed for over 24 hours after my surgery and it delayed the healing so I had to spend over a week in the hospital.

Did get a cool X-marks-the-spot scar on my side though grin

Bolshybookworm Sat 16-Apr-16 19:36:17

Yep, I was a bit freaked out when the dressings came off that my belly button had changed shape (little did I know what having kids would do to it grin). It did slowly go back to normal, it just has a scar at the bottom.

Cass168 Thu 21-Apr-16 19:48:52

Good luck tomorrow Megadude! Hopefully it'll be as straightforward as mine was flowers

megadude Thu 21-Apr-16 20:31:53

Thanks Cass, so nice of you to remember! Thanks for everyone's posts, they've all been really helpful x.

IWasBeingAffable Fri 22-Apr-16 17:57:23

All done! It was my appendix which is a relief (changed my name too)

Cass168 Fri 22-Apr-16 20:51:42

Ah, glad it went well, I was wondering about you today! How long are they keeping you in? Have you got someone to look after any dcs when you get home?
Mine was on a weekday and I loved getting stuck into some boxsets (very rare nowadays!) while ds was at nursery.

IWasBeingAffable Fri 22-Apr-16 21:05:15

I should be going tomorrow. Dh is looking after the kids, and mil is coming one day, plus dh is taking days off when ds1 isn't in nursery. Not half as bad as I thought it would be so far, looking forward to to some good tv and reading too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now