Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gynecologist referral - very worried

(6 Posts)
BonnieBlueButler Fri 15-Apr-16 20:04:52

I've been experiencing a tiny amount of bleeding after sex for the last few weeks. I have also had some unusual discharge, some abdominal pain and fairly bad lower back pain. I went to see the nurse practitioner at my GPs on Monday. She took a look and said things looked normal, although rather pink. She has referred me to a gynecologist. The appointment letter has come through today for next Friday. The nurse practitioner gave me an information sheet which I have only just properly read which talks about 2 week, urgent referrals if there are symptoms which may indicate cancer. It does go on to say that 70% of these referrals turn out to be nothing, but it has sent me into a complete tailspin. I have terrible health anxiety and am now convinced that my symptoms mean I have cervical cancer.

At the same time as the examination, a swab was taken. The results came back yesterday saying that I have thrush. Would thrush alone cause the symptoms mentioned above? I didn't think so, but have never had it before.

Other relevant details are that my smears are up to date and clear. My next smear is due at the end of this year. A year ago I had a pelvic and vaginal ultrasound as I have a prolapse. All was clear.

I know no one can give me a diagnosis on here, but is there any reassurance anyone can offer? Do these sound like the symptoms of thrush? Would an ultrasound have shown if there was a problem a year ago and how quickly do things change? Finally, any ideas what will happen at the appointment?

Thanks in advance. My health anxiety is particular bad at the moment and I'm pretty terrified right now.

magimedi Fri 15-Apr-16 20:10:26

I don't have any answer for you but just be pleased that you are being seen so soon. That means weeks & weeks without the anxiety.

Just imagine if you had had an appointment for 10 weeks hence.

70% is a great odds - I'd bet on the gee-gees on that one!

flowers & try to keep as calm as you can & maybe see someone about your anxiety??

BonnieBlueButler Fri 15-Apr-16 20:24:24

Thank you for replying and for your good wishes. You are right that I don't have too long to stress over this which is a good thing.

I am seeing someone for my anxiety and take citralopram for. It is particulalry bad at the moment and my current health situation has made things so much worse.

PollyPerky Fri 15-Apr-16 20:56:16

Sorry you are so worried. It's great that you are being seen but IMO the nurse may have jumped the gun a bit. She's not a GP and (again IMO) surely she ought to have referred you to the GP?
The most common reason for bleeding after sex in someone young(er) is a cervical erosion. This is nothing to do with cancer - it's when the soft cells inside the cervix migrate outside. They look like a spongy red / pink patch. They are delicate and bleed. (I've had one!)
Most GPs would spot this and either treat it or leave alone and they can go away.
I really don't think it's anything serious as you were scanned etc not that long ago. The back ache is likely to be your prolapse depending how severe it is. Is it being treated- PF exercises, physio, operation planned?

PollyPerky Fri 15-Apr-16 20:59:38

Just to answer the other points- highly unlikely that a neg smear etc could suddenly turn into cancer in a year- and the nurse would be able to see it on looking.
At your appt you will be examined, asked some questions and hopefully given the all clear! They might scan you again.
Good luck and don't worry! As I said, I think she's being a bit OTT.

BonnieBlueButler Fri 15-Apr-16 21:05:38

Thank you so much for your reassuring post. I do wonder myself whether she has jumped the gun a little because she knows me. This particular nurse is well aware of my health anxiety and actually said 'I'm trying to think like you do' when she said she was referring me. She's right in that I would worry more if I wasn't seen. At the same time, I hadn't realised she had referred me as an urgent case. And I know it's not the thing to do, but looking online at these symptoms together seems to point in one direction.

It's only a grade 1 prolapse. Or at least it was a year ago - I suspect it may be getting worse so yes, it is entirely possible my back ache is related to this.

Thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now