Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

any tips on how to deal with orthotic insoles?

(16 Posts)
Badders123 Fri 15-Apr-16 15:43:13

I am struggling....
They make me get blisters and make my shoes hurt (I can't afford new shoes!)
They are also making my big toes hurt
Anything I can do?
sad

geogteach Fri 15-Apr-16 16:25:42

What sort of shoes are you wearing them in? Do they have a removable insole? If not the orthotic is taking up room which is why they don't fit. If out have removed an insole then maybe the insole doesn't fit, are they custom made? If so go back and ask for them to be adjusted. If off the shelf it is more difficult but you may be able to cut them down but not sure I'd be confident to do that myself.

AbsintheMakesTheHeart Fri 15-Apr-16 16:31:50

My daughter had orthotics made, presumably at some considerable cost to the NHS, and they were absolutely unworkable. Really thick and inflexible and sharp on the sides, which caused her no end of pain. She was about 14 at the time and refused to wear them after a couple of weeks. In desperation I took her to a private chiropodist, and paid about £35 for off the shelf orthotics which were comfortable, flexible and lightweight. She's able to fit them into the kind of shoes her friends wear. I guess they might not be quite as effective or supportive as the custom made ones, but at least she wears them. Might be worth checking out your other options...

MerdeAlor Fri 15-Apr-16 16:42:53

Three things to consider:

Your orthoses may be too big for your shoes. You may need to be more flexible about your shoe choices, I'm sure you have more than one pair? Try them in trainers for a while, see if it's the orthotic or the shoe.

You may be breaking them in too quickly, wearing them too much too soon can cause pain.

They may be making your big toe joints work normally for the first time and that can make them hurt, worth persevering if that's the case. Good big toe functions's where it's at.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Fri 15-Apr-16 16:43:52

I have tried every sort of off-the shelf ones, to no avail, and also NHS ones, which were even worse. I finally went private and had two different types made, one smaller and one for sports shoes. I am still having problems, but the person who made them is willing to keep trying to fit and adjust them for me, and I've been back lots of times. A different covering is helping the blisters somewhat. The pain and soreness is changing as I wear them longer, but some of it I'm guessing is just problems with my feet and gait that probably won't be resolved, which is very disappointing after spending all that money. But it's worth seeing a podiatrist if you can save up for it; the repeat visits were included. I'm still not sure what to do now and whether to keep persisting! I have had to try different shoes, and haven't found many that they will fit in- and mostly ugly ones, like my trainers.

Badders123 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:46:26

They are off the shelf ones
I cut them down myself and I have taken the shoe insoles out
Maybe a chiropodist is the way to go?

SixtiesChildOfWildBlueSkies Fri 15-Apr-16 17:15:33

They are going to change the dynamics of your feet within the shoes, so to begin with it's just like wearing a new pair of shoes.
Have you tried wearing them in slowly? 1st day no more than 5 mins, 2nd day 10 mins and so on?
Where they are causing blisters, is it possible to rub the inside of the shoe with a bit of sandpaper to soften them?
Also, try wearing the insole OVER the orthotic.

Iamaslummymummy Fri 15-Apr-16 17:21:58

Get yourself referred to an NHS podiatrist. They will make them fit you properly and build them up where they need to be

Badders123 Fri 15-Apr-16 17:53:53

I think I might ask for a referral.
I've been really trying but it's costing me a fortune in compeed plasters!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 15-Apr-16 18:03:23

I have orthotics after I hurt the tendons in both feet - took a while to get used to them . The person I saw at the private clinic was worse than useless - found another person who's been much better / all in all had cost me about £1000 so far !! But thankfully I could claim it all back if my med plan .

So more a case of finding someone who's interested in you not your wallet when finding help !! If you go down this route !!

Good luck with it all !!

CrotchetQuaverMinim Fri 15-Apr-16 18:27:56

Sadly my NHS ones were the worst of all; they were off the shelf ones, with build up in certain places - very cheap material and highly uncomfortable, but they said there was nothing more they could do as they thought they were supporting me properly, even though I said I was still in a lot of pain. They were so wide in the heel that it meant all shoes slipped and caused blisters, which was pointless. So I had to go and see someone else privately. I really lucked out with the podiatrist I am seeing privately, who is incredibly helpful. I think it's good to get recommendations. I think I might just have feet/gait too weird for orthotics to fix entirely, which is why I still have problems.

Badders123 Fri 15-Apr-16 19:37:38

How does one find a private podiatrist?

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 15-Apr-16 21:56:52

I found the first one through the private hospital and the second through recommendation of a friend ... If you are in Dorset PM me and I'll give you the good ones details !

CrotchetQuaverMinim Sat 16-Apr-16 08:08:28

What areas of the country are you looking in?

Badders123 Sat 16-Apr-16 08:11:52

Derbyshire/liecestershire

CrotchetQuaverMinim Sat 16-Apr-16 09:53:33

sorry, I know of Surrey or London

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now