Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Had knee surgery today but feel a bit violated please help

(86 Posts)
FletchersMum Thu 14-Apr-16 21:50:39

I had keyhole surgery on my knee today. First ever operation under general anaesthetic. I'm hoping there may be a doctor or nurse on here who can set my mind at ease as feel really upset tonight.
I am female aged 42. I was the first on the list for surgery, got wheeled into theatre by 2 males, one of whom was an anaesthetist assistant I think. He was 50 odd and extremely patronising and quite rude. As I was wheeled in there was another male washing his hands in theatre , and the male consultant anesthetist who was very nice. The knee consultant is also male but had not yet arrived.
I was put to sleep within 5 minutes. Woke up, op a success, but after I got home I noticed that the Orange disinfectant stuff they paint on your skin goes right up my legs to about an inch from my crotch. I feel really upset as I was on my period and had a sanitary towel on, had not done bikini line for months. I can't imagine how they opened my legs to brush the stuff on, it goes all the way around my left leg front and back and almost right up to my crotch. I don't know who would have done this but as there were no females present I assume it was one of the men. I know they are professionals but I feel so upset to think a man (possibly) has had his hand so close to my fanny and whether I was lying there with everything exposed to them all. On my right leg (not operated on) it looks like there are orange fingerprints at the top near my crotch but my partner thinks they might just be drips.
Can anyone please reassure me? Ideally I would like to know how they did this, did they lift my leg in the air or pull my legs apart and put the stuff on then roll me over?
The best way I can describe it is I feel violated. I know that is a strong word but that's how I feel. If it was any other situation when you are awake eg at a GPs you can usually ask for a female chaperone. I was not given this opportunity or warned what they were going to do. It would really help me to know what the procedure is after they you to sleep. Thank you.

RNBrie Thu 14-Apr-16 21:56:31

Hugs for you. I've had several keyhole surgeries on my knee and the orange stuff has gone the full length of my leg too, so that's not unusual.

I believe they apply it with a sponge on a sort of stick thing and I doubt they need to move you much at all to apply it, it's never worried me. Hopefully a doctor or nurse will be along soon and set your mind at rest properly.

Wishing you a speedy recovery flowers

lulucappuccino Thu 14-Apr-16 21:58:29

You're worried that you hadn't done your bikini line? They're medics. You're not they're to seduce them!

FletchersMum Thu 14-Apr-16 21:59:59

I am home now, been here since 12. Was thinking to maybe call and speak to a nurse tomorrow and ask them. I am really upset a strange man has touched me like that. I know that people have all sorts of procedures where they get operated on more intimate places but I am just picturing myself lying there with some strange guy opening my legs and I feel really upset. I wouldn't mind if it was the consultant as he is lovely and I trust him. Think it's cos they were all male in there.

FletchersMum Thu 14-Apr-16 22:00:44

lulucappucino I pictured then taking the piss out of me

FletchersMum Thu 14-Apr-16 22:02:19

lulucappucino I am embarrassed at what they saw. Since I had my second child I am ashamed of my body. I did not intend to seduce anybody.

BennyTheBall Thu 14-Apr-16 22:02:26

It's Betadine - a surgical scrub.

They are liberal with it.

You are being a bit irrational.

gingerboy1912 Thu 14-Apr-16 22:04:25

Hi op the staff member who was rude is unacceptable they should of been putting you at ease before the op. Unfortunately some of them forget that even though they do this everyday the patient doesn't. The orange dye is an antibacterial that will clean your skin to avoid bugs getting in to the wound. Sounds fairly normal to me for it to be all around the area. The ladies I look after post operatively that have had gynae surgery have the dye splashed all over their abdominal area down the front of their thighs and right up to their boobs sometimes. And usually the theatre team will include a female even if you didn't see one before you went to sleep. I really wouldn't get upset about it if I were you. Try to just rest and keep up with the pain relief thanks

PotteringAlong Thu 14-Apr-16 22:04:39

They were operating on your keg and you're worried because the surgeon moved your leg? Did you really not see that one coming?

frikadela01 Thu 14-Apr-16 22:04:58

So sorry you're feeling this way but you do realise it's utterly irrational don't you. You trust the consultant but not the other medical professionals also who have seen it all and worse day in day out. They have to put the disinfectant on a large area in case any of them accidently touch or brush another part of your leg during the surgery. And as pp said it's. Applied using gauze on the end of some forceps.

caramelchaos Thu 14-Apr-16 22:05:26

Hi fletcher, noone in the theatre would have had the orange iodine solution on their hands to leave fingerprints behind, so I would agree with your partner. I've not worked in theatres since I was a student, but as a nurse I've seen all sorts of intimate areas on both men and women and pay absolutely no attention to them. Someone could have their pubes shaved into a dinosaur and I wouldn't give a shit! The drs/nurses will be used to seeing all sorts of bodies and body parts and won't even have registered your bikini line. Sorry you feel like this after your surgery. Hope you feel better soon flowers

Coconutty Thu 14-Apr-16 22:05:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 14-Apr-16 22:06:12

They use a stick with a sponge and they have to slap the orange stuff on everywhere.

Funnily enough men/doctors don't faint when they see some bodily hair wink

Very normal to feel teary after anaesthetic ime.

Hope you recover quickly smile

FletchersMum Thu 14-Apr-16 22:06:26

No I am upset that someone put their hands up to my crotch. Not what I expected for a knee operation. Thanks to those of you who have been kind and supportive. I appreciate your reassurance.

BennyTheBall Thu 14-Apr-16 22:08:00

Trust me - they could not give a shiny fuck if your fanny hair was down to your knees.

lulucappuccino Thu 14-Apr-16 22:08:29

They are medics and have left traces of where they went. Ridiculous to worry about this. They were just doing their job.

Ledkr Thu 14-Apr-16 22:09:21

Hello. I used to be a nurse but haven't done much theatre but have had lots of ops myself including Breast and gynae.
They disinfect as greater area as possible to avoid Infection so the entire leg is fairly standard.
Theatre is a busy and highly disciplined place and there woukd be no oppotunity for anything of any concern to occur.
Can u ask to talk it over with the Dr or one of the nurses who cared for you?

PotteringAlong Thu 14-Apr-16 22:09:38

But if they were operating on your knee they couldn't touch there - they were always going to have to manipulate your leg into position using your thigh.

flowers I hope you recover quickly, but I think you're over thinking this one.

NerrSnerr Thu 14-Apr-16 22:10:00

They wouldn't have taken the piss I promise. They'd have done it with a stick and they slop it on so it takes seconds. They do it every day and will see all sorts. It probably didn't even register you were on your period.

Kelsoooo Thu 14-Apr-16 22:10:56

After GA I always feel emotional, a bit worn down, a bit freaked out (pathetic really I've had tens and tens of GAs)

I think you're probably experiencing a bit of drag effect and in a couple of days you'll feel a bit calmer.

Don't under estimate the big thing your body has just gone through

Costacoffeeplease Thu 14-Apr-16 22:11:24

As said previously it will have been applied by tongs and gauze, not by hand, and is completely standard and routine to theatre staff, they were probably talking about last night's coronation street or eastenders

PotteringAlong Thu 14-Apr-16 22:11:33

And as everyone else has said, they will not have put their hands near your crotch at all.

RNBrie Thu 14-Apr-16 22:12:31

Op, it's completely normal to feel disorientated and emotional after a general anesthetic, ignore the people being unkind!!

No one had their hands near your foof, they probably didn't even see under your gown, they just sloshed the sponge thing up your leg.

Try and get some sleep, you'll feel much better with a decent rest.

And make sure you do your physio smile

canyou Thu 14-Apr-16 22:12:52

flowers I think sometimes simple things should be mentioned and not taken as a given, As awful as this will sound you were just a knee to them and that will be all they focoused on. Maybe a chat with your Dr will help if you do not have a follow up with the surgeon?

LeaLeander Thu 14-Apr-16 22:14:02

Agree with others, it's very perplexing that you are surprised your limbs were manipulated to move you into the proper position for surgery. Did you think you were going to lie in the position you were in when you went to sleep and not move?

It is to your benefit that the disinfectant be applied as liberally as possible. You should be pleased, not upset.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now