Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TVT / Single sling - bladder incontinence

(10 Posts)
TreeHuggerMum1 Thu 14-Apr-16 18:34:43

Following on from urodynamics tests for leaking and mild bladder prolapse I had a cons appointment today for the urodynamics results. Confirmed stress incontinence and asked which surgery id like to go for, TVT or singular? I was a bit taken aback and said I'd like time to think and research etc. He gave me some v positive statistics and said chances are good.
Has anyone had one of these ops? He says 9/10 are successful but I've seen a few horror stories lately. Any advice gratefully received.

Cocolepew Thu 14-Apr-16 18:44:07

I had a TVT years ago, it stopped my stress incontinence but not my urge. incontinence, but I was told that would happen, it got slightly worse. It held up through my hysterectomy.

Fedupwithmyhairagain Thu 14-Apr-16 21:23:39

I had a TVT 2 years ago. Never looked back. Wish I'd had it done years ago. I had bad stress incontinence with a small element of urge. Stress is 99% improved. Urge no change but not worse post op. When I need to go I have to prioritise as more likely to have a little leak if I put off going. Recovery was fine but you must follow advice & lift nothing for 6 weeks etc.

TreeHuggerMum1 Fri 15-Apr-16 09:32:53

Thanks both. Good to hear positive outcomes.

Fedupwithmyhairagain Fri 15-Apr-16 15:25:39

Good luck! Don't rush your decision and consider the timing of surgery if you have a choice of when to get it done. Feel free to ask more questions if they crop up.

leavesrfalling Fri 15-Apr-16 16:05:02

I had a colposuspension about 11 years (slightly different from TVT and don't know what a singular is) but it has been fab. Was leaking lots before but no problems since - can run, jump, sneeze, cough etc with no worries!

TreeHuggerMum1 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:39:02

Oh I'd love to run and jump confused

Looly71 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:41:42

I had TVT about three years ago - also best thing I ever did. I had both stress and urge incontinence. Was advised to continue taking vesicare (brand name, can't remember actual med name) for about 6mths after surgery. Have no problems stress-wise at all now but I feel urge incontinence is beginning to raise its head again so may go back to tablets for that.
And yes, definitely do not lift or drive for 6weeks. And I would suggest not straining to lift heavy boxes etc in work ever again so that you don't undo the good work.
My surgeon also told me that because it is relatively new procedure they couldn't really predict how long it would last but that it is possible to have it done a second time.
A friend of a friend told me they had to have it done twice because it hadn't been successful the first time. Second time was apparently fine.
My final advice would be to not google this condition. I did this the day AFTER having op and was totally freaked out by tales of botch jobs and compensation claims. My surgeon was fantastic with follow-up care/advice as well.

MerdeAlor Fri 15-Apr-16 16:51:47

Following, I'm due one in a few months. I felt totally confident in my surgeon....until I googled. Still going to have it done, as I need it but good to hear the reassuring stories.

BackforGood Fri 15-Apr-16 16:56:24

I had a TVT 7 yrs ago - was marvellous. Only wish I'd pushed harder many years before.
Not heard of a singlular, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now