Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone got over their fear/aversion of contact lenses? So fed up of wearing glasses!

(13 Posts)
Illthinkofausernamelater Tue 12-Apr-16 10:16:00

I have tried twice over the last 20 years to get used to putting in/taking out contact lenses, both epic fails. The last time I got in a real pickle one evening when I just couldn't get a lens out, ended up with a really sore eye and had to give up; finally managed to get it out in the middle of the night by which time my eye was all gummed up and horrible. Really put me off. I do tend to have dry eyes which I'm thinking probably doesn't help, so I'm wondering whether I will ever crack it given that and my hang ups! Has anyone persevered successfully beyond a similar point? TIA for any advice/thoughts.

LuckySantangelo1 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:21:40

You just need to practice! Do it in the daytime when the light is good. Is it putting your finger on your eyeball that is bothering you?

Illthinkofausernamelater Tue 12-Apr-16 10:24:50

Yes, I guess so, I just get in a flap. I had a lot of eye surgery years ago and I think its made me a bit squeamish about my eyes.

Drinksforeveryone Tue 12-Apr-16 10:27:06

DH has recently started wearing lenses occasionally. He is quite squeamish with regard to eyes - and it did take him some tme to get used to putting them in. Sometimes he will be in the bathroom for 20 mins struggling. He is getting better.

I used to wear lenses and didn't ever have the same issues - but the shape of your eyes might make a difference too ?

Modern day contacts - the dailies in particular - are much easier to cope with I think.

Annarose2014 Tue 12-Apr-16 10:31:01

In fairness you don't get proficient in a day with contacts.

Get dailies and get ones for dry eyes. You shouldn't have any discomfort then. With taking them out its all about dragging them down first, its too hard to take them out when they're slap bang on your cornea.

Pricey though. But totally worth it.

zoomtothespoon Tue 12-Apr-16 10:32:22

Yes yes and yes!

I've tried two different types recently and I feel like I've got a grain of sand under my eye lid the entire time I have them in so can only manage a few hours- and my eye site is no better!

Last tried a few days ago, managed 4 hours, eye was itchy the rest of the night and all crusty the next morning sad

Illthinkofausernamelater Tue 12-Apr-16 10:38:22

Anna - each attempt was much longer than a day! I used them for weeks and just never seemed to get used to it, and just got more and more squeamish instead!
Dailies for dry eyes - didn't know they did them so that certainly sounds worth a try, thanks. I guess it just has to be mind over matter.

MatildaTheCat Tue 12-Apr-16 10:54:17

I have dry eyes and sadly never got the knack despite a lot of perseverance. They just didn't float properly and even when they were in I got sore quickly and would end up scrunching my eyes and generally defeating the purpose. Everyone ( normal eyes) kept saying it would improve but it didn't despite the dry eye dailies etc.

I finally bit the bullet and had my eyes layered about 12 years ago and I've never looked (!) back. Certainly not recommending or suggesting you do this, it's a big step and dry eyes can get worse. However, IMO some people and contacts are just not ever going to get along.

Annarose2014 Tue 12-Apr-16 11:18:21

I wonder if there are any trials available? I got a free trial in Specsavers recently but I was an old customer that was changing from regular dailies to ones with more moisture content. So not sure if it's for every customer or not, iykwim.

Otherwise consider laser. My sister got it last year and now thinks we're all nuts for not doing it! But I'm used to contacts and just couldn't be arsed.

AnthonyPandy Tue 12-Apr-16 11:24:45

Have you tried gas permeables?

misscph1973 Tue 12-Apr-16 11:37:05

If you get soft lenses, you can put them on the white of your eye, not your eyeball, and they will float into place. That's what I did for 20 years (I can't wear lenses anymore, I get red eyes, inflamed eyes, the optician and the eye hospital have no idea why).

AnthonyPandy Tue 12-Apr-16 17:07:14

You put gas permeables on the white of your eye too, then shut your eye and nudge your eyelid up. To get them out, pull at the corner of your eye, so no need to touch your eye at all.

hollinhurst84 Tue 12-Apr-16 17:13:54

I stopped wearing lens 10 years ago due to dry eyes, tried a few times since but no joy. Had an eye test this week and they had a new type in which I tried and they're so comfortable to wear so I'm going back to contacts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now