Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dry eyes - is it worth seeing GP or can I get all I need over the counter?

(11 Posts)
Millionprammiles Mon 11-Apr-16 14:21:56

Hi - suffering from dry, stingy eyes here. Already use dry eye drops during day and Systane drops before contact lens go in and after lens come out.

I used to be fine at night time but last few nights have had to keep getting up to put in eye drops, eyes felt very dry, stingy and watery. Is there something more intensive and long lasting I can get for nighttime use (an ointment perhaps?) without a prescription? Asked the Boots pharmacist and she said I'd need to see my GP. Wondered if fellow dry eye sufferers have bought anything over the counter they'd recommend?

Am on day 4 of next to no sleep and that's definitely not helping my eyes!

Buzzardbird Mon 11-Apr-16 14:25:18

I would see a GP. It took 4 hospitals 2 years to find out what was wrong with my eyes.
Dry eyes was the first incorrect diagnosis.

OddBoots Mon 11-Apr-16 14:25:24

I have this eye mask and I find it really helps, I use it twice a day when my eyes are bad and once every few days in between.

PollyPerky Mon 11-Apr-16 14:26:32

Would an opthamologist not be better than a GP?

DrivingMissLazy1 Mon 11-Apr-16 14:28:49

I suffer regularly with dry eyes. I use Viscotears bought over the counter from the pharmacy. It's thicker than drops and I use it just before I go to bed and then when I wake up. It does the trick for me.
I have also tried Artelac nightime gel which I got from Amazon. I found it too thick (like Vasaline) but stuck with it for a few days until I discovered Viscotears.

Millionprammiles Mon 11-Apr-16 15:27:54

Thanks all - Artelac gel sounds good.
I'm seeing my regular optomotrist in a couple of weeks (which is quicker than I could get a GP appt...) so will ask them too. Just needed something in the interim as I can't face another night of broken sleep.

Mysillydog Mon 11-Apr-16 18:41:29

Definitely see your optometrist because your dry eye may be contact lens related. If you need to use dry eye drops long term maybe go for a preservative free formulation. These are often in single dose minims but some products such as hyabak are in a multi dose bottle - the bottle has fancy technology to prevent bugs from getting in.

redannie118 Tue 12-Apr-16 08:49:25

Lacrilube ointment that you put on at night is brill but I get it on script,not sure if you can buy it over the counter. I would go see gp and have blood done as it can be a sign of a autoimmune disease (as mine is)

Zadocthepriest Tue 12-Apr-16 08:57:06

Sorry but would definitely advise not wearing your contact lenses for a while.

1st, it will establish if it is contact lens related and if so, whether the type of lens needs a rethink.

2nd if it is a minor infection, it will give eyes a chance to heal.

If not wearing the lenses gives you more of an idea as to where the problem lies, then phone your optometrist to ask what sort of appointment you need.

Millionprammiles Tue 12-Apr-16 09:12:49

redannie - the pharmacist gave me lacrilube last night and it definitely helped (though I still had to get up twice to put eye drops in - but better than getting up every hour!). The Systane I use is preservative free but the drops aren't, you're probably right I should switch. I think I've seen that bottle you mention.

Zadoc - sadly I don't have a choice - only rigid lenses correct my sight and I couldn't cross a road safely without them, let alone work.

Millionprammiles Tue 12-Apr-16 09:15:05

Incidentally the lesson I've learned is that both the out of hours GP and Boots pharmacist were pretty useless but our local (non chain) pharmacist was excellent. He was the only one to mention that the prescription anti-histamines I have to take can cause dry eyes as a side effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now