Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

7.5 weeks after birth abdominal pain and bleeding

(5 Posts)
SearchingforSleep Sun 10-Apr-16 05:48:20

I gave birth 7.5 weeks ago - vaginal delivery with no stitches or other complications. Bled for a few weeks but bleeding had totally stopped by 5 weeks postpartum. In the last 10 days or so I've noticed the tissue is slightly pink when I wipe (no obvious blood in urine) and this weekend I've started spotting - it is fresh blood colour and vaginal bleeding rather than in urine. My periods returned 16 months postpartum after DC1 and I am breastfeeding again so wasn't expecting periods to start so soon this time round.

The left side of my stomach has been really tender since giving birth. It feels normal until any slight pressure is applied (eg holding baby against my stomach) and then it is really sore. I saw a doctor a couple of weeks ago who said I have a stomach hernia but at my 6 week check last week a different doctor said she couldn't feel any lumps but that my stomach muscles are slightly separated.

I'm now really concerned about the stomach pain which doesn't seem to be improving combined with vaginal bleeding so long after giving birth. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Idefix Sun 10-Apr-16 08:32:39

You need to see your gp, you may have a uterine infection. They are fairly common and can be treated abx.
Hope you feel better soon.

SearchingforSleep Sun 10-Apr-16 09:02:37

Thanks for the reply - really appreciate it. Will get an emergency appointment with the GP tomorrow then. I feel like I'm wasting time as it will be the third time I have discussed the stomach pain with a doctor but I'm really concerned about it now combined with the bleeding which is heavier now. Really feel like something is not right. Thank you again. thanks

Idefix Sun 10-Apr-16 14:58:23

I would ask for a high vaginal swab and dependent on results a referral to gynae to check what is going on.
My infection became apparent ŵith abdominal pain and bleeding about 12 weeks post section. Was really surprised as but gp said it was not unusual.
I think the one sided pain needs to be investigated. How do you feel apart from the abdominal pain?

SearchingforSleep Sun 10-Apr-16 18:31:46

Thank you so much again for the messages. I've seen out of hours GP this afternoon. She was reasonably dismissive and said it is just my periods starting again - which maybe it is?? Periods didn't start for 16 months last time so 7.5 weeks seems a bit soon - EBF both times. She said there was less to go wrong in comparison with a c-section because it was a vaginal birth with no stitches or complications.

I've been aware that my stomach is really tender for several weeks so this hasn't started with the bleeding - sorry that wasn't clear. She thought the stomach pain was my uterus contracting down - which I'm sure it isn't as it isn't like period pains and it's too high up and only sore with pressure.

She did examine me thoroughly though and said everything seemed normal which is obviously good. Going to keep a really close eye on things over the next day or so.

Thank you so much again thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now