Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

For the love of God how do I get my eyelid to stop twitching?

(23 Posts)
TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 08:32:08

Just that! Left eyelid has been twitching every couple of minutes or so for the last 2 days!angry
Obviously not painful but its drivng me crackers! Any random remedies out there?

TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 08:32:54

*driving

semideponent Sat 09-Apr-16 08:35:43

I would eat bananas - aren't twitches a result of low potassium?

NicknameUsed Sat 09-Apr-16 08:40:04

My eyelid twitches when I haven't had enough sleep. So perhaps a few early nights are needed.

PinotEgregio Sat 09-Apr-16 08:42:58

More sleep and less caffeine.

<hopes OP isn't on night shift or similar>

Yika Sat 09-Apr-16 08:44:15

And cut down screen time.

TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 09:02:33

Thanks for the repliessmile
Caffeine - I drink about 5 cups of tea per day, is that bad?
Sleep - had decent sleep recently so not that
Screen time - ah, too much MN? Time to put the Ipad down perhaps?!wink

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Sat 09-Apr-16 09:03:48

I think it is magnesium you need. I take it for my twitches and tinglings with my fibro.

TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 09:08:10

Magnesium, OK, will look into that.
BTW thiswink is how my eyelid feels!
Sympathies to those who suffer in a more serious way.

Yika Sat 09-Apr-16 09:15:26

Screen time - I find my eye starts twitching like crazy after long days of intensive screen work.

hugoagogo Sat 09-Apr-16 10:17:13

I get this if I'm tired and stressed. It's so annoying and even more so because no one else ever notices.

More sleep, less mumsnet shock and yes a multivitamin wouldn't hurt.

cheapandcheerful Sat 09-Apr-16 10:19:30

I had this for a few months about 7 years ago. I changed jobs and it stopped overnight.

rubybleu Sat 09-Apr-16 12:14:56

Definitely try magnesium, I take this to stop eye twitching and foot cramps in bed

www.amazon.co.uk/MegaMag-Muscleze-Formerly-Ultra-Supplement/dp/B00934GYZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460200466&sr=8-1&keywords=muscleze

InsaneDame Sat 09-Apr-16 13:04:00

This is a better way of increasing magnesium levels -

www.betteryou.com/magnesium-oil-original-spray

Quite easy to buy in town too.

InsaneDame Sat 09-Apr-16 13:04:45

It's not an actual oil by the way, so doesn't leave you greasy.

TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 20:48:06

Thanks for all the suggestions...a day away from screens and eyelid still twitching!
Am off to get me some magnesium! I knew you guys would come up with an answer, thank yousmilesmile
Will let you know if it helps.

TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 20:50:35

InsaneDame do you reckon I could (carefully) spray that directly onto eyelid? Or would it be a general body spray to absorb the magnesium?
<completely clueless>

InsaneDame Sat 09-Apr-16 21:59:14

I wouldn't recommend you spray it near hour eyes, I suppose you could spray some on your hand and rub a little on the lid but if it is twitching due to magnesium deficiency then just spraying and massaging into your skin will do the job. The recommended dose is 10 - 20 sprays a day. So go for the higher dose to begin with. Good idea to make it your routine so spray on your body and massage in after a shower/bath or do it just before bed. (It's also supposed to improve sleep). I usually wash it off my hands though as it makes them feel a bit weird! You can use it orally to improve dental health but you are not supposed to swallow as can produce a laxative effect (hence why the spray is better than an oral supplement and also better absorbed through the skin than the gut).

InsaneDame Sat 09-Apr-16 21:59:58

*your, not hour

rubybleu Sat 09-Apr-16 22:09:36

You may as well soak in Epsom salts if you're going to spray stuff on your skin. Quite a bit cheaper as well.

TalkMeDownPlease Sat 09-Apr-16 22:10:13

Fab advice thanks smilethanks

GooodMythicalMorning Sat 09-Apr-16 22:11:01

magnesium spray helped stop my eye twitch and leg cramps at night.

GooodMythicalMorning Sat 09-Apr-16 22:12:33

one bit of advice do not spray onto freshly shaved legs! stings like hell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now