Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What's going on with my painful, tender, bloated abdomen?

(10 Posts)
Spidershidingbloodyeverywhere Fri 08-Apr-16 20:52:52

An excruciating cramping in my abdomen woke me at 3.30am last night. Everywhere below my waist, it hurt like hell, like a leg or hip cramp but low in my abdomen, and for about an hour. It felt as though everything was being squeezed and twisted down there.

I got out of bed and took ibuprofen and made a hot water bottle, and got back into bed and did labour breathing until it gradually lessened enough to go back to sleep. It became so painful at one point I ended up shaking and teeth-chattering - shock?

This morning, my abdomen felt like your legs do the day after you do way more exercise than you're used to - sprained, stretched, pulled - with a prevailing dull crampy ache. This has lasted all day, along with bloating (I can hardly do up my jeans) and tenderness - if I press in certain areas of my tummy, it hurts.

What is this?! IBS? I don't normally suffer, and haven't had much bloating/wind since giving up pulses a while ago. I went to the loo twice this morning - no diarrhoea, a bit constipated at first but then fine - and still the feeling hasn't changed.

I've just finished a period so it can't be menstrual. I'm 38 and have a 13-month-old (still breastfed) - hormones? Dehydration from loads of night feeding causing constipation (although it's not all the time and not much)?

I reckon an appendicitis would have got worse, not improved. The pain is too low for gall stones (at least I think so).

I don't know, but I'd appreciate some ideas. Do I go to my GP? I didn't bother today; I aim not to go unless I really have to (and I'd have to wait a few weeks for an appointment anyway!). But I felt proper scared by the pain in the night, so could really do with getting to the bottom of it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Lucsy Fri 08-Apr-16 20:55:00

It really sounds like constipation / trapped wind combination. It's can be very very painful and fits I think with what you are saying

SurroMummy13 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:03:45

That's creepy.

SurroMummy13 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:04:23

Sorry! Sorry!!! Wrong thread. confusedblushstupid phone X

sadie9 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:30:51

Could it be ovulation pain? Mark the calendar for the day you got the pain, then if in 14-16 days you get a period, then that's what it was.
Mine developed as I got older. When the egg was bursting out of the follicle I got a very sharp pain and bloating (a bit like needing to poo) for between 1 and 4 hrs.

sadie9 Fri 08-Apr-16 21:31:18

Ovulation pain here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelschmerz

Spidershidingbloodyeverywhere Fri 08-Apr-16 22:11:18

Lucsy, thanks. I've had mild constipation on and off over the years, but never that has caused pain - just a bit of discomfort going to the loo. I had no idea it could cause lengthy and intense cramps. Hmm. It's possible I guess because I think I'm getting dehydrated fairly regularly - I don't drink much in the night because it wakes me up/makes me pee and disturbs my sleep further. But it could be drying me out.

sadie9, thanks. I am familiar with ovulation pain though - I get it sometimes, usually on one side. It's more manageable than this, and usually a week further on. Thanks, though.

Lucsy Fri 08-Apr-16 22:13:59

I get huge cramps. It's agony sometimes. The pain you describe in your legs too. The bowel has no nerves as such but it presses against things. That's why I think this is what you have from your description of pressing on parts of your tummy
I would try maybe some movicol and up the fluids to see of it helps.
Keeping a diary may also help

Indantherene Fri 08-Apr-16 23:27:56

Pain like that needs investigating, so yes I would go to GP, and quite soon. Incidentally for stomach area problems I've been told to avoid ibuprofen (can't remember what it does) and stick to paracetamol.

FrizzyPig Fri 08-Apr-16 23:52:21

Could it be a kidney infection?

I suffer with these and they never present as cystitis or anything like that.

Once I had excruciating stomach pains like you've described.

If you think that you are not drinking enough water, it could be related maybe ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now