Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Menstrual cup rising up?

(13 Posts)
CremeDeSudo Tue 05-Apr-16 08:25:10

Hi ladies..I need some help with my menstrual cup. I've just finished my first cycle using a femmecup (having found that tampons are causing a sort of ache in/down there) so thought I'd give it a go.

No leaks, comfortable and went in easy enough. Trouble is, it keeps moving way up and I'm REALLY struggling to get it out again.

When it goes in It's low and then stem is sticking out a bit (it's not uncomfortable and I haven't needed to trim it however) yet when it comes to removal I can only just feel the stem and can't get hold of it to pull down and break the seal. I'm bearing down etc and eventually managed to get it out but this morning it's taken me half hr of trying and 'giving it a sec to relax again' to get the bloody thing out.

What am I doing wrong? How can I stop it moving upwards? confused

CremeDeSudo Tue 05-Apr-16 17:47:54

Anyone? My foof still doesn't feel right after all the rooting around this morning!

LivingInMidnight Tue 05-Apr-16 20:46:18

I'm not sure you can stop it rising. Squat in the shower next time you're struggling though. Try and stay really calm and don't tense up, bear down and feel for the stem.

You could also try a different brand/size/shape.

CremeDeSudo Tue 05-Apr-16 21:53:12

Thank you for replying.

I'm not sure what I should look for I'm an alternative though..any recommendations? Would a softer silicon help d'you think?

LivingInMidnight Tue 05-Apr-16 22:13:28

It sounds like your cervix is quite high so a longer cup might help.

feminine wear's website is great. It gives dimensions for the cups.

I prefer the material used for the moon/fleur/femme cups because it's easier to pop open, but loads of people like the meluna cups.

CremeDeSudo Wed 06-Apr-16 11:24:15

Thanks for this! smile

girlandboy Wed 06-Apr-16 13:01:56

Mine does that if I don't give it a "turn" when I insert it. It kind of gets hoovered up to higher realms.
For me I think the "turn" helps it to settle in the correct position.

Mine's a Mooncup though, so a different brand to yours.

CremeDeSudo Wed 06-Apr-16 13:04:18

I thought I did that though. How much of a turn do you give? Is it more than you think it should be perhaps?

girlandboy Wed 06-Apr-16 13:11:08

I probably give it at least a full turn confused

I just swizzle it round.....it doesn't seem to go up as much then.

I know my cervix is a long way away, because the nurse mentions it when I have a smear. And I've never found it myself blush

CremeDeSudo Wed 06-Apr-16 13:22:49

No I can't reach mine either! Hmm. I'm torn between wanting to give it another go and being too scared to having to get the bloody thing back out again.

The ones with the ring on the end look good as you could tie something to the end!!

LivingInMidnight Wed 06-Apr-16 14:21:36

There are some reeeeally long cups.. I can't remember the name but the stem is a leaf. Helpful.

girlandboy Wed 06-Apr-16 14:31:31

A lot of it is practise though.

And remember, if you squat down low in the bath or on the floor it will move down a bit. Try not to get flummoxed about it and leave it for a bit. Another half an hour isn't going to hurt and then give it another go.

But yes, the one with the ring on the end might be better. So long as you can't feel the ring thing as you move about ordinarily?

CremeDeSudo Wed 06-Apr-16 16:55:11

I'm going to have a good look on that site. I'f be tempted to just stick with tampons if I hadn't been find them so uncomfortable and inpractical lately.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now