Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

slipped neck discs and caring for a 12 week old baby

(5 Posts)
Fashpackmum Mon 04-Apr-16 11:09:11

Does anyone have any tips on caring for a 12 week old baby when suffering from 2x slipped discs in my neck??

Am already seeing osteo and physio but have been told I cannot carry or lift my baby girl for at least 2 weeks to give my neck a rest (this is the second time I have slipped these discs).

I have ordered a bath stand but any other top tips to reduce bending/lifting would be greatly appreciated.

thanks xx

RoobyTuesday Tue 05-Apr-16 20:06:49

I have sympathy for you as although I don't have slipped discs in my neck I have had facet joint irritation in my neck since the birth of my third baby. I am aware of the discomfort everyday but now and then it flares up very badly and I can hardly move my neck for days, sometimes weeks. Breast feeding certainly makes it worse, the posture involved for that is terrible! I had to prop ds right up to breast height on cushions. Get a push chair that has a handle at the right height so you are not pushing with your arms down low. I avoid lifting ds as much as is possible (he is now a very heavy, very wriggly 16 month old!) - I ask DH to do as much lifting/changing of nappies as possible. I found chiro and osteopathy only helps on a temporary basis - I ended up paying for private physio and now go to Pilates to build up my core strength which definitely helps.

Fashpackmum Tue 05-Apr-16 20:35:19

Thanks. Yes, it is excruciatingly painful. I have been doing Pilates for the past 3-4 years and love it. I have used a crazy amount of cushions so far with breastfeeding to get the right height. Did you find a good lightweight pushchair? Any other things that reduced your pain and would recommend?xx

RoobyTuesday Wed 06-Apr-16 08:15:53

I have a nipper pushchair which is a three wheeler so not the lightest but with nice high handle bars. I alternate ice pack and heat packs when it's really bad and that helps. Have you seen a doctor or had an MRI? I just wonder if you can have any kind of nerve block for the pain ( that's a total random guess) - mine is just facet joint pain I'm told so no formal treatment it's all just conservative.

RoobyTuesday Wed 06-Apr-16 08:16:53

Oh and I forgot to mention that when driving I found actually removing the head support helps as they were pushing my neck forward and making it worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now