Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Triglycerides

(7 Posts)
hollyisalovelyname Sun 03-Apr-16 15:00:01

Any wise Mumsnetter able to help me please.
Problem with triglyceride level after blood test.
What CAN I eat please?
T'internet tells me what I can't eat!!! smile
Suggestions to bring down the bad result.
Thanks in advance.

Chchchchange Sun 03-Apr-16 16:39:56

Not sure what you currently eat but the paleo diet is fantastic for lowering triglycerides. It can be quite a change though, so it might be too much for you.

Basically healthy fat is good, protein is good, unrefined carbs are good (lots of veg is best) and sugar and processed foods generally are dreadful for you. If you follow that you should see a difference.

I eat lots of eggs, fish, meat, nuts, seeds, sweet potato, masses of veg and a bit of fruit and a bit of paleo baking on the side

hollyisalovelyname Sun 03-Apr-16 19:13:18

Thank you.
What vegetables do you recommend?

Idefix Sun 03-Apr-16 19:29:39

www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/preventing-heart-disease/healthy-eating

Really good website that has lots of information on reducing your cholesterol levels.

There was some research a while back that eating red skinned fruits, veg had a particularly beneficial effect. If I find it I will add link.

Focus on increasing insoluble fibre in the diet is also vital for reducing cholesterol.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 03-Apr-16 20:25:47

Thank you. I am quite worried. Doctor mentioned 'stroke'. Aghhh
Red skinned fruit - apples, strawberries and raspberries.
Red skinned vegetables ?

Idefix Mon 04-Apr-16 06:27:47

Peppers, radishes, beetroot.

I have had very good success reducing my cholesterol total using benecol yogurt drinks, they are expensive but do work.

Other factors that are just as important are your weight and waist measurement. For me it is really frustrating that my bmi is good, I exercise a lot but my cholesterol is pants.

You are right to want to reduce your cholesterol but I wouldn't lose sight that is only one part of the bigger picture f your overall health.

Porridge also has properties that reduce cholesterol, I now make the effort o make this for breakfast 3-4 times a week.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 09-Apr-16 10:32:00

Thank you Idefix.
I eat far too much sugarsad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now