Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists who can advise on option for dealing with missing teeth

(9 Posts)
cuntycowfacemonkey Thu 31-Mar-16 22:15:44

My lateral incisors never grew in so consequently I have very large gaps. As far as I'm aware I was never given any options for dental treatment when I was younger and assumed it was just one of those things. However now my teenage neice is having a brace fitted to deal with the same problem and it's left me wondering if there are still options available to me.

It's always bothered me the gaps are really quite big but I'm guessing it's not a straight forward now I'm 40 and probably not cheap!?

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 01-Apr-16 09:58:11

BoboChic Fri 01-Apr-16 10:03:35

This is a surprisingly common problem - several DC around me have it.

Old style treatment was to push teeth round with braces to close the gaps but newer treatment is to fit false teeth.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 01-Apr-16 11:01:37

Really? That's interesting. I rarely give toothy smiles but DH made me laugh taking my picture the other day resulting in a full exposure. My teeth look awful but in some ways it was nice to see a photo where I look genuinely happy rather than mildly unamused and awkward.

Is it crazy expensive?

BoboChic Fri 01-Apr-16 11:06:37

I have no idea and the teens I know with this issue get the costs met by health insurance. False teeth aren't usually terribly expensive but you may need some orthodontic work done to realign your existing teeth first. Can you ask around for a recommendation for a good orthodontist in your local area?

Are you Jewish? This (genetic) problem is more common among people of Jewish descent and so Jewish dentists/orthodontists could be a god starting point.

BoboChic Fri 01-Apr-16 11:07:07

Good

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 01-Apr-16 11:10:22

No not Jewish although I do get told I look like Bette Middler a lot hmm. Thank you for the advice I will start looking around for an orthodontist and see what they say.

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 01-Apr-16 11:11:07

LOL at God starting point grin

BoboChic Fri 01-Apr-16 11:14:52

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now