Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ferritin

(11 Posts)
dragonstail Tue 29-Mar-16 19:05:23

I just wondered if anyone else had noticeable symptoms that improved with raising ferritin from around 50 to a good level higher, such as 80-100?

Twice now I've had some anaemic symptoms and both times it had dropped to 50. GP says its borderline but starting iron as I have been feeling so washed out.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 29-Mar-16 20:37:02

Definitely worth a try. I think 60 is optimum. I was down at 13 and was really in a bad state but they kept saying it was OK as 12 was the the cut off point. I think it's different for everyone but my target is 60 and I've read about it being a good place, hope you feel better soon

SoThatHappened Wed 30-Mar-16 02:37:07

50? Jesus.

Mine hovers around 6-9.

They treated it with drips and it just drops again.

DdJames Wed 30-Mar-16 03:07:05

I dream of reaching 50! When mine dropped to 4 I was obviously feeling pretty rotten. Think the highest I've got to in the last few years is 20 and I definitely notice the difference when it's on the higher side.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 30-Mar-16 04:14:09

I think it's more complex than that. I had my results back last month and my ferritin was 3 but I had no symptoms (normal range according to the lab paperwork is 11-306). However my other iron tests (transferrin, TIBC, iron and Hg) were within normal range. I'm in the USA and they test every level they can. The nurse practitioner explained to me that low ferritin means little if other results are normal and you have no symptoms but she advised me to take an iron and vit C supplement.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 30-Mar-16 04:15:42

If you have anemic symptoms at 50, get your doc to test for other deficiencies. Many things can present as anemia. What symptoms were you having btw?

dragonstail Wed 30-Mar-16 07:27:00

I know, I feel ridiculous. The 50 level.

But I could tell over the last 6 weeks it was dropping as I felt so washed out, esp after periods. Gums noticeably paler again, cold. Aching upper back - crampy muscles. But it was 'itchy bones' that prompted upping it last time, which has crept back this time.

Then, I kept reading ferritin is best over 70 or better at 100 (GP even said over 70 is technically normal). But then I know how many women get to 5 before anything is done.

Thyroid is spot on, last time b12 and vit d were done they were good.

dragonstail Wed 30-Mar-16 07:31:21

I then think it's all in my head grin- but I was pretty sure last week the result would be around this level. It was 85 in the autumn.

werenotreallyhere Wed 30-Mar-16 14:14:15

Mine was 1 at one point, they were about to give me a second blood transfusion. It was after my second was born and I was massively sleep deprived as well at the time so it's all a bit hazy but I remember my hair falling out in clumps and just craving ice and more ice all the time...

LionsLedge Wed 30-Mar-16 14:20:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

clarella Wed 30-Mar-16 15:54:39

20 months ago it started, mainly my spine and ribs, hips etc. I googled 'itchy bones' and read about restless leg syndrome. GP had been very patient as other things were also going on (I have underactive thyroid too) and did say that in older people ferritin had to be over 70 before they tried other treatments.

It did ease when ferritin was higher, though several months of feeling ill due to too much thyroxine as it was adjusted, might have impacted. Before Xmas it had definitely all gone but has been creeping back.

I just can't get my head round how I seem to not cope well when others hobble on till a ferritin if 1!

But, it must be down to individuals I suppose and as you say v complicated.

I was asking incase it's not the ferritin and I need to look at hormones - not sure which! But cycle related.

I think my body is just a bit weird :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now