Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy and exercise

(3 Posts)
pinkhousesarebest Mon 28-Mar-16 10:47:54

Slowly coming to terms with this prospect for June - fibroids. I am moderately fit for the first time in years as I run/ shred every day. I am gloomy at the thought of having to spend the summer months immobile. Almost dreading to ask this question, but how long before you can resume your normal life, driving, picking up after indolent children etc. I think I am focusing on this to avoid having to dwell on other aspects too. Anyone be kind enough to share their experiences..

MyNameIsFled Mon 04-Apr-16 17:16:44

I think it depends on if you are having open or laprascopic surgery. I had open surgery and was off work for 4 months. The exhaustion was the thing I wasn't prepared for tbh. Even after 6 weeks when I was driving againot I would be having a nap at lunchtime as well as sleeping for 10hrs at night.

So in answer to your question I think you should anticipate not to be exercising certainly in the first month or so.

StillMedusa Tue 05-Apr-16 01:20:03

I had an abdominal hysterectomy. Hideous for the first 10 days then gradually it all felt fine again! But I was exhausted... amazingly so.

You must obey the docs..no lifting (ok I drove after 2 weeks... shouldn't have but had cabin fever!) and I went back to work after 6 weeks... too early in retrospect as I have a physical job.

I didn't do any sport for 6 months tbh..was scared of damaging myself. But these days I run (not long distance, but 5k three times a week), do taekwondo, and try to remember my pelvic floor exercises. It will be ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now