Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

52 small changes -week 14

(32 Posts)
OddSocksHighHeels Sun 27-Mar-16 20:32:50

Keep it clean and green.

Use cleaning products without toxic chemicals. It recommends calling companies to ask for full ingredients lists and to check online at ewg.org and epa.gov

Avoid products with vague terms such as preservatives and surfactants and choose certified green products where possible (which can be found on greenseal.org and environmentalchoice.com)

Go through your cupboards and throw away anything that isn't green (this is presuming you can easily afford to replace everything!).

Try using homemade cleaning products instead.

OddSocksHighHeels Sun 27-Mar-16 20:34:50

Now, I do use things like vinegar for cleaning because it's cheaper but I just don't really care enough about this stuff in general to put this much effort into it.

My water drinking has definitely slipped though so I'll make more of an effort to get back on track with that this week.

DrDiva Sun 27-Mar-16 21:17:45

Already do this as DS has eczema to go with the dairy/soya intolerance.

Plan on using the week away to recharge on water and low carbing. And am taking supplements with me.

DrDiva Sun 27-Mar-16 21:18:19

Thanks for thread oddsocks ! flowers

quirkychick Sun 27-Mar-16 21:52:51

I have a cupboard full of cleaning stuff that needs sorting out, but not sure that it will get done while the dcs are at home! I probably need to move towards less chemicals, but probably more slowly than this!

ICJump Mon 28-Mar-16 04:22:44

Lovely to see your back running things Odds.
Thanks for taking care of us DrDiva.

I've got this weeks in the bag. I use a mixture if vinager, method, or aldi "hippy shit" provided I do the shopping. I like method the best as it smells good.
Where possible I try to use just water but that's not always the case.
We were using Eco dish powdered but it's so much more money and not so good. We don't use Eco clothes detergent either as my kids are kids.

8FencingWire Mon 28-Mar-16 07:59:06

Morning, thank you for the theadsmile

Is Lidl green? (Cause that's all I'm buyinggrin)

margaritasbythesea Mon 28-Mar-16 08:51:40

Thanks for thread oddsocks. Thanks for holding the fort Dr diva.

I use method or water. Can't get myself off bleach for the toilet. I also use lidl's own brand laundry liquid and fairy. I will think about changing to ecover but they both do a great Jo and are not too smelly, which is something I loathe.

Drdica on the beach I presume? How are you all else?

quirkychick Mon 28-Mar-16 09:26:36

Oh, I do use ecover laundry liquid. <<gives self a point>> and aldi washing up stuff - does that count?

Sirona Mon 28-Mar-16 11:04:35

Thanks OddSocks

Can't see me doing this one.

I'll maybe slowly replace some of the products with more ecologically sound ones but it will be as they run out. Wouldn't be able to afford chucking and replacing in one go.

gingercat02 Mon 28-Mar-16 11:08:15

Thanks for the new thread OddSocks. DrDiva did a great job holding the fort
I don't do much cleaning use lot of products. Hot water and elbow grease is usually enough, but I do like a bit of bleach in the loos. Probably could look into more eco dishwashing and clothes washing products. Will have a think

quirkychick Mon 28-Mar-16 11:37:25

Exactly, Sirona. Not v eco friendly to just be chucking out lots of cleaning products, anyway...

NightWanderer Mon 28-Mar-16 11:46:21

Not sure about this one either. I have a huge bucket of washing powder from Costco that will take months to work through. I do use baking soda and vinegar to clean drains though. I'm not sure that I'm willing to replace my washing up liquid and surface spray.

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 28-Mar-16 19:20:51

Well that's what I thought quirky it's all well and good replacing things with better alternatives once they run out but a pile of cleaning products all thrown out at once can't be good at all!

I used to use Ecover stuff which was pretty good but I just go for the cheapest stuff now.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Tue 29-Mar-16 08:28:35

Thanks for thread*OddSocks*.

I agree it's a bit daft to suggest throwing stuff away so I won't be doing that.

Of course, the most eco option is not to do very much cleaning at all, so I'll be going with that grin

Have a good holiday Dr

quirkychick Tue 29-Mar-16 08:59:02

Well Bewitched that might just be why we have a heaving cupboard under the sink full of cleaning products that needs sorting tbuwink.

After, overindulging with roast dinners and quite a bit of chocolate and (low carb) cake, trying to get back on track today. I have done some weights, we will probably walk up to the park with the dcs to get some fresh air and activity; yesterday's chicken carcass is in the slow cooker making broth for chicken and veg soup to have for dinner. I've even put half the chocolate Easter cake in the freezer for another day and put some of the eggs away for later... we have so many!

Sirona Tue 29-Mar-16 11:12:57

My, you are motivated early this morning quirky

I'm hiding the dc's chocolate later, they can get it back at the weekend. I find having it around the house impacts on how well they eat their dinners. Even the sight of it about is enough to put them off. I'm sick to the back teeth of chocolate myself, house heaving with it and I would have killed for a packet of crisps last night grin

Not much of a cleaner myself. I have loads of cleaning products as I buy them in the vague hope they will do the cleaning for me. I'll join you in your method Bewitched

Fallen off the wagon the last week. Plan to go for as long run later myself and will do a good stretch tonight. Have no idea what to plan for dinner as I'm trying to clear out the freezer so I can defrost it. Back onto the water today too.

quirkychick Tue 29-Mar-16 13:23:34

It may not last, Sirona! Dp does that with cleaning products, buys loads on offer and they just take up space. Would be great if they did the cleaning, too!

The amount of chocolate here is a bit obscene tbh. That's why I've hidden some tbusmile.

Have failed to have breakfast, just 2 lots of coffee. One this morning and another in the park to warm up (the new cafe van is bribery to get dcs out of the house). Sods law, it's sunnier and nicer now we've come back home. I need to motivate myself to make some lunch for everyone. Then, we can chill out at home.

DrDiva Thu 31-Mar-16 09:33:51

Current view grin

DrDiva Thu 31-Mar-16 09:36:21

Ps Turkish tapas is awesome for low carbing - first time ever I have gone on holiday and actually got my rating back on track!
Plus lots of water being had. We will draw a veil over sleep hmm

DrDiva Thu 31-Mar-16 09:36:47

Eating not rating!

quirkychick Thu 31-Mar-16 15:18:53

Mmm, Turkish food is delicious!

Sunny but quite cold here, we managed a lovely walk in the local forest followed by virtuous nuts and coffee in the cafe. The others had cake...

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sat 02-Apr-16 09:20:22

Love Turkish food too, and really lovely people.

I was there when the currency was in millions and several times we had people running after us because we had over paid smile

Still being very eco and not cleaning wink

Doing quite well on water and have embarked on some little exercises!

DrDiva Sat 02-Apr-16 12:11:01

DS is being spoiled beyond his wildest dreams. We have to helicopter a bit as everyone wants to feed him chocolate (he does cute like you wouldn't believe hmm grin )
Water and lc mostly ok. Although there is a free chocolatier that is successfully testing my resolve.
Slept better last night.
And being amazing on the environmentally friendly cleaning, I.e. Not doing any!

quirkychick Sat 02-Apr-16 13:11:35

Oh, I have been really eco and not done any cleaning either! I have done some washing, but I have ecover so that must be ok wink.

Been pretty good on the yoga front, but I never manage as much walking in the holidays as the school run counts for lots of my 10,000 steps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now