Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breathlessness since giving birth two years ago.

(8 Posts)
shinebright13 Sun 27-Mar-16 16:40:42

I was wondering if anyone has found their physical fitness is impossible to regain since giving birth.

Before having DS I was doing some form of physical activity every night of the week which as mums know post natal isn’t possible.

Looking back I was rarely out of breath however had some strange symptoms e.g. some days I could lead a martial arts class, go for a 2 mile run however always avoided the stairs in the summer months as I used to get short of breath when other people didn’t (found it embarrassing). Also some days a workout which I could normally complete would have me out of breath so I would stop before my muscle really ached. This was never discussed with a doctor as I always just put it down to my hay fever.

Fast forward two years and I'm hitting my head against a brick wall with the NHS. For the last month Ive had a cough on a night to the point the OH is sleeping in the guest room, constantly feel mildly breathless (not enough to go to A&E), been in A&E twice with chest pains and have been given antibiotics for a chest infection (even tho the OOH doctor said my chest sounded clear but he could hear I was breathless talking to him), the infection never really presented like a chest infection and within two days I was back to normal. All in the last 6 months.

Now people are commenting I sound breathless on the phone (OH and my mum) to the point I had to lie and say Id just run upstairs. GP is unsure and just said to come back in a few weeks if it doesn’t resolve.

Anyone else had anything like this since giving birth as TBH if it normal as we lose physical fitness then id be happy to accept it as TBH feel like I'm wasting the DR time.

clarella Mon 28-Mar-16 15:49:28

Yes - I've been through a lot since ds was born with known thyroid issues, previously unknown hms - HOWEVER I'm slowly finally regaining my stamina and strength since starting brown inhalers two months ago for asthma.

I didn't think I had asthma. I don't have allergies in the usual sense - fine with dogs and cats etc, no hay fever.

Coughs I've had since ds have been brutal, including croup worse than ds had, and lingered for ages. The last one I had basically never left despite abs and chest X-rays. Cough at night. Reacting to smoke. Wheeze.

However I remember periods of breathlessness and random coughing fits at times over the last 3 years. Waking at night.

You could check ferritin levels too but it does actually sound like asthma.

I've learnt adult onset asthma can be triggered by bad infections as well as pregnancy.

PacificDogwod Mon 28-Mar-16 15:52:54

You have not been fully investigated yet - A+E is not the right place to get to the bottom of your problem.
See your GP, get some blood tests lined up, some initially tests to consider an airway restriction can be done in primary care (such as serial peak flow measurements). Get referred to a respiratory clinic or outpatient spirometry and take it from there.

JustAnotherDaftQuestion Mon 28-Mar-16 15:54:22

Lack of iron can cause breathlessness.

clarella Mon 28-Mar-16 15:58:32

Not sure about chest pains though.

The being breathless on the phone is very familiar. And the night cough. And there doesn't have to be wheeze with asthma.

At the same time breathlessness can be linked to anaemia / low ferritin.

You could ask to see the asthma nurse who I've learnt know more about asthma than the GP. Mine confirmed by testing peak flow before a blue inhaler and again after 15 mins. It had improved so I started a brown trial.

Muddlewitch Mon 28-Mar-16 16:28:07

Have you periods changed since having your baby? I get those symptoms when I need my anaemia meds upping, heavier/longer periods can be a cause.

Wolpertinger Mon 28-Mar-16 16:29:34

What Pacific said. A+E is not the right place to sort this out. GP has done the right thing by saying come back if it doesn't get better.

So go back if it doesn't get better. It could be masses of things.

AuntieMaggie Mon 28-Mar-16 16:36:28

My cough and breathlessness were signs that I was severely anaemic - I agree about getting gp to run bloods

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now