Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

chest infection?

(11 Posts)
threeelephants Sat 26-Mar-16 23:28:15

I had a thread a couple of weeks ago when I had a horrible flu like virus, and got some great sympathy advice, so thought I'd ask on here again.
I had pretty much recovered from the original virus, but today I have a tightness in my chest and I'm struggling to get a 'full breath' iyswim. I can breath, but not deeply. I'm yawning every few minutes as its the only way I can breath in.
I am coughing quite a bit.
I don't have a temperature or feel really unwell or anything, so I don't think it's particularly serious. But...when do I worry? Should I be going to ooh in the morning if this carries on?

threeelephants Sat 26-Mar-16 23:40:26

tbusad no one cares!

Babymamamama Sat 26-Mar-16 23:48:33

You really should get checked over by the gp for this. You may need inhalers or possibly you could have an infection. Sorry to be dramatic but being short of breath isn't good. Hope you feel better soon. As it's bank holiday I would suggest ooh.

threeelephants Sat 26-Mar-16 23:51:13

Thanks for replying babymama. I know it doesn't sound great. I can breath, just not deeply. The nhs website says that chest infections can go away on their own, and not to go to go unless you've had it for a couple of weeks.

outputgap Sat 26-Mar-16 23:51:32

Yeah, ooh for you. I also became breathless at the end of an awful cold recently. My gp gave me antibiotics and it went away after a few days.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 26-Mar-16 23:53:16

Yep, I've had similar too. Second round of antibiotics and inhalers, now have steroids, and it's still not clearing. Sounds like asthma tbh

outputgap Sat 26-Mar-16 23:53:34

Just ring the 111 (is that the NHS? I don't want to direct you to the police?!) line. This is the sort of thing the computer system should be good at directing you to the right resource for.

threeelephants Sat 26-Mar-16 23:57:46

I'll ring them in the morning I think.
I'm just a bit gutted...dh was poorly over Christmas, and this is our first week off together since.
Really been looking forward to a chilled out Easter holiday.

Sothisishowitfeels Sun 27-Mar-16 07:46:25

I'm exactly the same I had flu a month ago and now have a horrible stiff chest and wheezing with coughing. No temp. My gp have me an inhaler last week but tbh it doesn't seems to help!

Sothisishowitfeels Sun 27-Mar-16 07:47:41

I'm feeling a bit panicky about it as I had pneumonia and was in hospital only 4 months ago!

Babymamamama Sun 27-Mar-16 22:57:48

How are you doing three? Hopefully on the mend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now