Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flu...should I phone ooh?

(24 Posts)
Fabellini Sat 26-Mar-16 21:44:34

I feel awful. Temperature, sore throat, hurt all over, utterly exhausted. I've been in bed since Tuesday, but this evening I feel considerably worse. I have asthma which is controlled really well with preventer inhaler twice a day. But this evening I feel quite breathless too, and my chest is tight, although I don't feel that the cough I have is causing this.
I had flu jab at the start of winter, so is it even flu I've got? Whatever it is....it's completely wiped me out - I was actually in tears earlier because I feel so bad. I'm a 50 year old woman for gods sake!

lljkk Sat 26-Mar-16 22:17:01

Well, based on your previous experiences, what would OOH doc do? Check for or what treatment can they provide? Do you need A&E and what would they do?

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 26-Mar-16 22:22:14

It might or might not be flu, the jabs aren't 100% effective.

How worried are you about the tightness in your chest?

mineofuselessinformation Sat 26-Mar-16 22:23:30

If you are unable to speak without being short of breath you need OOH.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 26-Mar-16 22:24:55

If you're worried about your breathing then yes phone ooh thanks

lorelei9here Sat 26-Mar-16 22:25:18

Oh I'm sorry to hear that
I have asthma as well and I know what it's like to feel that wheeziness and worry it will get worse

You could ring for 111 general advice but if they said go to A&E would you want to go?

Re asthma, I wonder if they can advise you there. The kind of preventer I have can be used a lot more if needed.

If it makes you feel any better, I know many people who have had this and hospitals are reporting a spike in flu cases. The main thing is to establish what out of hours could do.

I wish you better ASAP flowers

Fabellini Sat 26-Mar-16 23:15:54

I don't know what they'd do...if anything. Maybe I'm just being pathetic because I feel so rubbish. Last time I had flu was four years ago - that's why I get the jab now - and I was in hospital for four nights.

ThisIsme2 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:23:38

OP, I've had this flu thing for the last week and a half too, its not great. I'm still coughing and wake up soaked in sweat every morning, but I do feel a bit better. I don't have asthma, but I have felt breathless. Are you alone? I guess if you can't breathe they'll tell you to go to a&e?

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 26-Mar-16 23:31:46

You really should ring OOH/111 if you are breathless.

NoDramaForThisLlama Sat 26-Mar-16 23:34:02

Phone OOH. I started of with flu type symptoms but had the shortness of breath, turns out I had pleurisy and pneumonia and was admitted into hospital. Get checked.

lorelei9here Sat 26-Mar-16 23:42:15

If you were hospitalised with it before then it's worth having a chat with 111 surely? Do you have an OOH service who will come to your home? (Sounds rude)!

I'd err on the side of caution based on previous experience.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sat 26-Mar-16 23:46:11

You need to ring 111.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Sat 26-Mar-16 23:51:11

There is a nasty flu going around and it isn't the strain that was covered by the vaccine. But you should always call ooh for shortness of breath, especially if you have asthma.

Sothisishowitfeels Sun 27-Mar-16 07:52:38

You should ring I know of a number of people (myself included !)!who have needed hospital treatment for flu this year.

wulfy1010 Sun 27-Mar-16 10:21:47

I was the same a couple of weeks ago and they sent a paramedic with a nebuliser. Ended up on steroids and antibiotics. If you are struggling to breathe then call them up

Wolpertinger Sun 27-Mar-16 12:36:44

Have you called 111? If you aren't feeling better get your call in now as they will be very busy today and you may need steroids.

lougle Sun 27-Mar-16 13:16:13

The Flu is nasty this year. We have had several people in ICU with Influenza A and H1N1 (swine flu).

Pinkheart5915 Sun 27-Mar-16 13:21:30

It is more than likely a flu virus.

My husband had a 12 day virus last month, there really is many nasty flu virus around.

Maybe a trip to the GP if not better by Tuesday but I wouldn't bother a&e for it

Fabellini Sun 27-Mar-16 16:25:22

I've been to the out of hours GP - I was never going to a&be - and have been given steroids, antibiotics and an aero chamber to use with my inhalers to get more stuff into my lungs.
I feel a bit better already, thank goodness....last night was horrible!

Wolpertinger Sun 27-Mar-16 16:29:05

Glad you have been seen and are feeling better, you can't muck about with asthma.

lorelei9here Sun 27-Mar-16 16:51:05

oh good - glad you are feeling better.

Handsup Sun 27-Mar-16 18:47:14

Another asthmatic here who had the flu jab yet succumbed to the flu for the first time in years. Without sounding too dramatic I don't think I could go through that again blush

shutupandshop Sun 27-Mar-16 18:49:55

Glad you sought help. Feel better soon.

Fabellini Sun 27-Mar-16 21:33:33

Thank you all for the good wishes. Handsup have flowers, I hope you're feeling better too....although I must admit, I do feel pretty rough again this evening - not so frightened though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now