Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help!

(9 Posts)
Simmi1 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:08:24

Not sure whether to post this is general health or mental health as I have a physical problem which is now affecting my mental health. I had my second baby 6 months ago and have since then been experiencing terrible bowel symptoms (no problems at all before this point and I'm 40). Started off with excess gas/ painful constipation but for the last 4 months it's been diarrhoea every day. I haven't had a normal bm for 4 months ( sorry tmi). I've been for various tests (blood, colonoscopy, stool test). The stool test did show some bad bacteria and a parasite which is harmful in some and not in others - I took antibiotics and am now testing completely clear BUT am still symptomatic. Gastroenterologist thinks it may be post infections IBS but surely I would have seen some improvement? I took the antibiotics end of Jan. I have tried cutting everything out of my diet (gluten, dairy, super, low fod map), Chinese herbs, very good quality probiotics but nothing seems to make any difference. It's driving me crazy. I only need to go to the toilet 1-3 times a day which is not too bad but it's the constant discomfort - feeling like I may need to go again in a minute, urgency, feelings of incomplete evacuation which are the killer. I've never had any real health problems before this and am devastated this has happened to me and so frustrated. It's affecting my marriage and my ability to look after my children. Anyone got any advice...please??

Simmi1 Sun 27-Mar-16 06:55:19

Anyone?

Sothisishowitfeels Sun 27-Mar-16 07:50:24

I had similar after my first dc went on for probably a year. No idea why it did seem to be slightly worse after cheese but not significantly. I used to wake up in terrible pain and have to rush to the toilet!
It did fade but gradually I wad 21 and otherwise healthy.

i had loads of tests and a scan etc

Simmi1 Sun 27-Mar-16 08:36:42

Thanks sothis. So did it just get better by itself? Just came on suddenly and then got better?

Sothisishowitfeels Sun 27-Mar-16 08:39:47

Yes tbh it just faded I couldn't tell you exactly how long it took but I think by her first birthday I was a lot better.

Sothisishowitfeels Sun 27-Mar-16 08:40:33

It came on 5 days after having dd I had bad stomach pains for a day then it sort of morphed into this!

Simmi1 Sun 27-Mar-16 08:42:28

Oh no! And then did it clear up completely?

MigGril Sun 27-Mar-16 08:53:14

It does sound very much like IBS, which I used to have before it changed into chronic migraines so know how distressing it can be.

You say you've tired diet and probiotics. Have you tried and off the other thing that can help IBS, drinking a warm water first thing in the morning taking peppermint mint oil tablets where all things I took as well. Worth trying maybe, did it happen straight after?

You didn't suffer any damage to the muscles from giving birth at all?

Simmi1 Sun 27-Mar-16 09:02:30

Thanks have tried the water and peppermint oil. It started straight after birth and I did sustain a third degree tear but gynae said not related to tear....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now