Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Appendicitis (no op) and bad night sweats- experiences?

(19 Posts)
SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 07:49:56

My GP sent me into hospital on Monday when I told him I had had serious pain on Friday evening (thought gall bladder at the time so toughed it out) and was still tender with odd joint pain that morning. Turns out my appendix is infected and the infection spread 'extensively' into the intestines (??) on my right side. I had IV antibiotics as an inpatient for 48 hours and now home with tablets. They didn't operate because of the length of time I'd had it and the extent of the infection, though that's quite good as it will now be done as day surgery from a waiting list and if it gets cancelled I can just go home again!

Definitely on the mend so far but- the sweating!! I actually don't want to go to bed (even though I desperately do want to go to bed!) because I know I will wake up soaking, with all my nightclothes wet to the touch at least twice and have to towel down and change clothes. I'm sleeping on a towel because I can't change sheets in the middle of the night when husband is sleeping, and anyway it would leave me exhausted and in pain to do so.

Please tell me if you've experienced this, how long is it likely to last? it's definitely affecting my recovery.

lougle Fri 25-Mar-16 08:13:45

Have they given you a plan of what to do if you get worse? I think it's really important that you are clear about when you need to seek further treatment, because peritonitis can be fatal.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 08:19:18

Yes, go straight back to the hospital. I'm not having pain, except the odd twinge. I think that is what swung it away from the immediate operation you expect to be the result of appendicitis. I am feeling better day by day, it's just this sweating! I had it at the hospital too, ugh. Don't need that when you've not got your own bathroom!

I want to feel comfortable to just go and have a sleep in the day rather than sitting downstairs debating whether it's worth the trouble...

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 08:21:00

In fact, I have MN to thank for my recovery, because of all the recent awareness raising about sepsis! That was what made me go to the GP 'just in case' rather than just taking more painkillers and trying to get on with things.

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 17:48:37

It's going to last until they take your appendix out sad

You can try using all cotton sheets/bedding/nightwear but what really helps is wicking fabrics bed linen, duvets and nightwear - however this is expensive and you may not wish to shell out given that you are going to have your op soon!

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 18:37:09

Ugh, but thanks for the warning. I don't know how quick it will be, consultant said 'in a few months'. I suppose I will know more once I get a clinic appointment!

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 18:44:12

Months!!! I think you need to pester them a lot and stress how utterly debilitating it is. I thought you were going to say a few days shock

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 20:10:05

well, I'm not in pain (odd twinge if I stand much or think about lifting anything) and my stomach was apparently very soft, which is good...? The idea seems to be to cure the infection entirely, after which it won't be an emergency. Have seen two consultants, a doctor and a surgeon over the last few days and all said the same thing, so I assume it's fairly usual. I think they want to do another CT scan once infection is gone, though I imagine if everything is fine by then they will skip it. It seems to be related to me having the infection for a while- if I had gone in Friday night, there would have been one asap, but as I've had it several days while staying fairly stable, no sickness and also lack of several other symptoms they would have expected (loss of appetite, diarrhoea and some others I can't remember now), they are taking the 'conservative' route. Appropriate really, since I am guaranteed to get cut!

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 20:12:49

And considering my room mate was immobilised with a broken hip (not elderly either) and had her op cancelled twice while I was there, I don't reckon my chances of getting one early just because I don't like sweating sad

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 20:15:09

Not that I think it would be okay to keep an elderly person waiting either!

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 20:29:16

Well the sweating hopefully will diminish with the antibiotics but if it doesn't - realistically could you go to work? Probably not. So months is crazy for something that is preventing you from working.

Hopefully it's going to settle and be better than that but as long as you have the sweating, the infection is not gone.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 20:51:54

'Luckily', I don't work for an employer, I care for my visually impaired husband, so that's not an issue at least. The adult kids are coming round to do housework. It's really useful to have your input about this, if it is still occurring once ABs are finished I will definitely seek further treatment!

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 21:16:50

Frankly I would see 'I am unable to care for my disabled husband' I know I have changed the language here as making you a high priority. But I am bolshy like that.

Again I hope it is going to be a lot better than this. But the sweating is linked with the infection and it's massively debilitating and the sort of symptom a doctor would tend to underrate compared to say, pain. I deal with lots of patients with sweating (Please can I stress here I am not a surgeon and no expert on appendicitis) and had no idea how awful it was until my DDad had it. I view it differently now.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 21:51:08

I am usually fairly assertive myself smile But it is easy to allow something scary like an operation (I've never had one before) to be put off as long as possible... I really appreciate your advice and I will definitely keep it at the front of my mind when I get this appointment, as well as now knowing it is relevant if I start feeling worse again!

Wolpertinger Fri 25-Mar-16 22:13:34

If you start feeling worse, you need seen again - straight back to hospital.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 25-Mar-16 22:29:48

I can promise you that- much as I hate hospitals, I've got too many people (and pets) to live for smile

Thelastegg Fri 25-Mar-16 22:42:16

I have sweats like this when I am very unwell (ie hospitalised). They improve as I do and as things in my abdomen settle and pain improves. I'm having them at the moment but have no infection.

We put extra sheets on my side of the bed and keep extra pj's by the bed, so it's easy to strip a layer of sheets back to a dry level. I also have a fan to put on if need be. I was sleeping on a towel as well when they were at their peak. I keep a flannel handy too for mopping myself down and popping under my head as my hair gets so wet.

Like I said, they do gradually improve. I can get through the night now without a change, and I'm not so wet and I'm about 4 weeks post discharge now.

You have my sympathy as it's no fun, especially all the extra washing. I really hope it improves for you soon.

Thelastegg Fri 25-Mar-16 22:47:40

I meant to say too mine isn't appendix related, that got taken out decades ago.

SilverDragonfly1 Sat 26-Mar-16 07:36:37

It does seem to be a bit less each night so that's something! Really good advice thanks, esp the flannel which I'd not thought of. I don't actually feel hot when I wake up, so don't think a fan would help- in fact, am shivering once I get out of bed so I could end up being the sweatiest hypothermia case ever wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now